Letter: Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine working to reduce student stress

I commend Rebekah Barnes for her article published on Wednesday, “The Weight of the White Coat.” The particular stresses that come with medical school and a career in medicine are real, so self-care and resilience are critical to success both during students’ medical education and over the course of their careers. Physicians must take care of themselves if they are to provide the best care for their patients and their families.

With this in mind, our college is working to develop a new curriculum that puts wellness at the forefront. Our Pathways to Health and Wellness curriculum, slated to start in 2018, will explicitly teach our future physicians how to lead positive, mindful and empathic lives professionally and personally. In fact, as part of the curriculum, we’re planning weekly protected time for wellness events for students, faculty and staff.

Coincidentally, when Ms. Barnes’s article was posted online, I was participating in a session addressing physician burnout and depression at our college’s Clinical Education Summit. Medical education professionals from our partner hospitals across the state came together at our Dublin campus to listen to a nationally recognized speaker on this topic. We then worked in groups to share best practices and brainstorm solutions for medical educators and health care providers to take care of themselves as they take care of others.

Ms. Barnes touches upon just a few important resources available for medical students. All medical students have access to programs and services at the university and at the medical school to support their physical and mental well- being. Our Office of Student Affairs and student organizations have offered extracurricular programs and activities focusing on stress management and wellness.

We can be proud that our medical school, with osteopathic medicine at its core, emphasizes the importance of maintaining one’s health and wellness. We also know there is much more to be done, and we’re addressing the issue head on. Thank you again, Ms. Barnes, for taking on a subject very close to our hearts.

Dr. Ken Johnson is the Executive Dean of the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.