Emily Mclntyre

Dorm Sweet Dorm: How to stay motivated during finals

Having experienced finals week six times in my college career, I have learned more about exam prep than I thought was ever possible. It seems simple, right? Take good notes in class, study those notes frequently, do your homework on time and don’t cram the night before. 

Well, it’s not that simple. I’ve been guilty of procrastinating too. But with finals week, I don’t mess around — it’s game time. Here’s how to dominate every exam (or project) that comes your way.

Friends don’t let friends interrupt

Being with a friend or two usually goes one of two ways: they push you to be productive like they are, or the study session turns into social hour (read: nothing gets done). Have an idea of which category you fall into before potentially wasting precious study time. Either way, you can always meet them for a bite to eat when you’re done!

Seek out the study environment that will keep you focused and productive

Obviously Alden Library is where most people like to go during finals week, but finding an open table — or access to an electrical outlet for charging — can be nearly impossible. Baker opens a number of conference rooms during finals week, and most (if not all) of them have whiteboards and projectors. Sometimes I’ll head to empty classrooms in Gordy or Bentley, especially if I’m working with a group. Or, for all you night owls, Donkey will be open 24/7.

Energize with healthy snacks

Guzzling cups (okay, gallons) of coffee sounds like a great way to stay awake and productive, but you’ll only set yourself up for crashing later. It’s important to stay hydrated with water (the colder, the better) and to eat a healthy combo of protein and complex carbs to keep you full. Peanut butter and apples, string cheese and wheat crackers, hummus and veggies, you catch my drift. If you’re splurging with a pizza delivered to your study spot, add some veggies or immunity-boosting mushrooms.

Don’t skimp on sleep

I know this one’s kind of impossible, but try the best you can. You need sleep to fight off all those nasty germs that you’re picking up during cold and flu season. You need sleep so your brain has time to register all that information you’re trying to learn. You need sleep so you can function and think critically during each exam. At the very least, take a 20-minute power nap.

Put your best foot forward

No matter what your grade is, think of the big picture. You get to go home and do nothing for a whole month afterwards, right? So as awful as it is to study until your brain fries raw, just get your work done and out of the way. The more time you spend dragging it out and complaining, the longer it’s going to take you to finish.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way — and you deserve to finish the semester strong.

Emily McIntyre is a senior studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What is your favorite way to stay motivated? Let her know by emailing her at em564912@ohio.edu.