An OUPD vehicle is parked outside of Scott Quad. (JOSHUA LIM | FILE)

OUPD receives fourth report of rape for fall semester

This article has been updated to include that OUPD released a campus-wide alert about a male wanted for the alleged rape and to reflect that APD has since released two reports of rape from earlier on Halloween weekend. 

Correction appended.

The Ohio University Police Department has received its fourth report of rape for the fall semester.

An 18-year-old woman reported “unwanted sexual contact by a known male” to the department at approximately 2 p.m. Tuesday. According to the police report, the individual reported the assault from O'Bleness Memorial Hospital. The report did not specify where the incident took place.

This is the seventh sex-related crime report local law enforcement has released since the start of Ohio University's fall semester. OUPD released five of the reports, while the Athens Police Department released two.

Last week, APD fielded two separate reports of sexual assault over the course of a single week. 

In the first, an 18-year-old woman alleged that she was sexually assaulted at an E. State St. apartment. The incident is classified as gross sexual imposition.

Later that week, a 20-year-old woman reported that she was allegedly raped by a person she knew last Thursday morning, near the west end of Athens.

Of the five sex-related crimes reported to OUPD, four have been classified as rape, in addition to a report of solicitation.

On Wednesday evening, OUPD released a campus-wide crime alert via email and social media, which included a description of the alleged rapist, and asked that anyone with information related to the crime contact the department at 740-593-1911.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu

A previous version of this article incorrectly identified which day the incident was reported. The article has been updated to show the most accurate information.