"Matthew Hartman keeping his eye on the puck in tonight's shoot-out win." (CHRIS PENWELL| FOR THE POST)

Hockey: Ohio looks for redemption on ESPN3

In Ohio’s loss to Jamestown earlier in the season, coach Sean Hogan said the team struggled.

Not having a strong performance for that particular game was less than ideal for the Bobcats, not only because they lost that game to Jamestown 3-2, but also because it was the first nationally broadcasted game in Ohio hockey history.

“We know we did not show up in that game, for whatever reason,” Hogan said.

Ohio will try for redemption of that loss on the big stage when the Bobcats take on Illinois on Friday night in the second game ever to be broadcasted from Bird Arena on ESPN3.

While the Bobcats have already gotten over that ESPN3 loss to Jamestown earlier this season, senior forward Joey Breslin said getting back on the national stage is a good opportunity to showcase the program.

“We have a second chance opportunity,” Breslin said. “So we want to show everyone watching how good of a program we have and really show them what Ohio hockey is all about.”

After a road trip to Iowa State last weekend that saw the Bobcats go 1-1, Ohio dropped a spot to No. 2 in the rankings, still good enough to earn the American Collegiate Hockey Association Game of the Week for the ESPN3 broadcast. Illinois sits at No. 17 in the latest rankings.

Not only will Ohio be looking to rebound on a national stage from its loss last weekend, but it will also be honoring the military Friday and Saturday nights in Bird Arena with special, alternate camouflage jerseys.

Those jerseys worn only once, sometimes twice, a year will be another reason Ohio has the spotlight Friday.

“Any time you get to wear those jerseys, it’s unbelievable,” Breslin said. “We’re gonna look good out there and we’ll see what we can do.”

Wearing the camo jerseys will be a fun change for Breslin and Ohio, but he is more concerned about the game itself rather than the alternate uniforms.

Breslin is coming off a weekend in which he recorded a goal and two assists. While two games is five games fewer than the longest point streak for him this season, continuing this new streak is something he looks to do against the Illini.

“I’ll see if I can get my linemates involved, keep battling and get the puck low,” Breslin said.

The puck will drop at 7:30 p.m. Friday night in Bird Arena.

@spencerholbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu