Quinton Maxwell (7) surveys the field against Eastern Michigan in Peden Stadium Saturday afternoon MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Football: Ohio falls to Central, MAC East title will have to wait

Ohio needed a response.

Down 17-0 in the first half, any chance of sealing the Mid-American Conference East Division slipped farther away with every down.

A response came, and soon it was 20-20.

Ultimately, the comeback started too late, as Ohio (7-4, 5-2 MAC) lost 27-20 to Central Michigan on Tuesday night in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

The loss doesn’t dampen potential Ohio championship festivities’ it just prolongs them.

Now with one game remaining in the regular season, the Bobcats still have a one-game lead in the East Division. If Ohio can beat Akron at home next Tuesday, Ohio will make it to its first conference championship game since 2011. The program hasn’t won the MAC outright since 1968.

With 5:51 to play, the Chippewas took a 27-20 lead. The Bobcats were able to move the ball on the ensuing drive, but stalled and eventually failed to convert a fourth down conversion.

Ohio received a lifeline, though.

With 2:33 to play and a third-and-long for Central, Ohio forced a fumble and recovered the ball at the 50-yard line.

Ohio struggled to move the ball, but a nine-yard run from quarterback Quinton Maxwell on third and four gave Ohio a fresh set of downs.

Immediately following, Maxwell found receiver Jordan Reid for eight yards, but a facemask penalty moved Ohio to the Central 12-yard line.

Ohio was unable to convert the following fourth and 13, as Maxell’s pass was intercepted in the endzone with 34 seconds left.

The Bobcats will have one more game in the regular season, hosting Akron next Tuesday at Peden Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu