Ohio State University issued an alert of an active shooter at Watts Hall on Monday morning. (Provided via Ohio State University)

Ohio University students, staff express concern over attack on Ohio State’s campus

This story has been updated to reflect the most recent reporting.

Following an attack at the Ohio State University’s main campus Monday, students and faculty used social media to express concerns and connect with those in Columbus.

Eleven people were injured on OSU’s campus Monday morning, after OSU student Abdul Razak Ali Artan ran a car into a group of people before stabbing others with a butcher knife. An OSU police officer shot and killed Ali Artan less than a minute after the attack, according to The Columbus Dispatch.

Authorities said everyone who was injured is expected to survive.

Five patients were taken to Wexner Medical Center, two victims were taken to OhioHealth Grant Medical Center, and two victims were taken to OhioHealth Riverside Methodist Hospital.

At about 10 a.m., OSU issued an alert of an active shooter at Watts Hall at 19th Street and College Road. Watts Hall is OSU’s materials science and engineering building.

“The Bobcat Family sends our most heartfelt thoughts and prayers to our friends and colleagues at The Ohio State University on this dark and difficult day,” OU President Roderick McDavis said in an email. “I would like to commend President Drake and the first responders who handled an unimaginable situation as well as one can expect to handle it. Their pain is our pain and our community grieves with OSU. Today, we are all Buckeyes.”

Naomi Sinn, an OU senior studying theater performance, said she was worried about her friends at OSU.

“Some of them have checked in safe (on Facebook) and preemptively made statuses about it,” Sinn said.

Facebook released a Safety Check feature for the incident, which gave people in the area the opportunity to list themselves as unharmed.

OU Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones tweeted Monday morning, “Today we are all O-H-I-O. Sending love to Columbus and Ohio State.”

Michelle Lane, an OU senior studying theater performance, said some of her family contacted her and asked if she was safe.

“My grandparents called and were like ‘we don’t remember what college you go to, but we want to make sure you are okay,’ ” Lane, who is originally from New Jersey, said.

She first found out about the attack when her sister texted her and asked if she was all right.

“It’s weird having something (happen) so close to campus,” Lane said.

Here are how others at OU reacted on Twitter to the attack in Columbus:

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu