Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Last meeting of semester will discuss budgets, appoint members

Ohio University Student Senate’s last meeting of the Fall Semester will consist of two budgets and appointments to the Black Affairs Commission.

The recent attack at Ohio State University will be on the minds of OU's Senate Body when they convene Wednesday night, Vice President Courteney Muhl said. 

“As a human being it’s horrifying,” Muhl said. “(Ohio Student Senate) reached out to Ohio State’s Undergraduate Student Government and extended our hand as a presence of support.”

Brianna McElrath and Cre’Shaun Cole’s appointments to the Black Affairs Commission will be brought to the floor.

Monique Callieham will be appointed as BAC Vice-Commissioner without a general body vote. As the position does not grant voting rights, it is not necessary within Senate’s rules for the body to vote on a vice-commissioner's appointment.

“It’ll be good that (BAC) gets some representation,” Zachary Woods, SAC Senator At-Large, said.

Filling vacancies in the BAC allows for the commission to start next semester “off and running,” Muhl said.

A resolution to suspend the rules stipulating the “strict” timeline for election campaigning will be voted on.

The dates during which campaigning is currently allowed fall during Spring Break, which takes place March 6-10. Moving the timeline for campaigning allows for potential candidates to contact student organizations without an academic break hindering their efforts.

The body will vote on a budget which will fund Finals Fest. The budget, which proposes a total of $908.98, is primarily made up of catering costs, which account for more than $824 of the budget.

As well as food, school supplies will be provided to students who are seeking to study or just relax during the event. 

“Finals Fest has been a thing that people like,” Senate President Hannah Clouser said. “It’s really nice to keep Baker open a bit later, so that they are able to have a nice place to study.”

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu