Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Body passed bill about SAC funding, discussed Bobcat Pledge

Ohio University Student Senate convened Wednesday evening, and the lone bill on the agenda passed. 

The bill requests an additional $150,000 be added to the Senate Appropriations Commission. SAC is a subdivision of senate that allocates funds for campus programming. 

“Student organizations have increased, and the amount of enrollment has increased here and at branch campuses as well,” Treasurer Steve Lichtenfels said. “Tuition has increased, and we haven’t gotten our fair share of the pie.”

When asked where the funds for the increase will materialize, Lichtenfels provided no answer saying the university will make the decision.

Colleen Bendl, chief human resource officer, addressed the general body about the upcoming increase in the amount of hours student employees are able to work.

Starting Jan. 1, student employees, excluding graduate appointments or students with F or J visas, will be able to work up to 25 hours a week. 

When giving her weekly presidential report, President Hannah Clouser announced that OU President Roderick McDavis agreed to buy 1,000 more buttons for the Bobcat Pledge, which signifies that the wearer would actively speak out against discrimination. 

500 buttons were initially bought by Senate for $127.

LGBTQA Affairs Vice-Commissioner Jordan Kelley spoke during Student Speakout. He ran for president on the Impact ticket last academic year but lost by more than 1,000 votes.  

“You need to listen when people from marginalized communities tell you that your actions aren’t helping,” Kelley said while addressing Clouser. “Do not invalidate the experiences of people from marginalized communities. Do not tell them just to wait around and see if it will help. And do not insist that what you’re doing is helping when they tell you it is not.”

Kelley’s dissidence stems from an instance he alleges occurred between Clouser and a student who vocalized concerns regarding the effectiveness of the Bobcat Pledge. 

Instead of asking what could be done better, Kelley alleges Clouser told the student to give the initiative a chance, and that the pledge is meant to start a conversation.

“That student didn’t feel like they were being listened to or supported,” Kelley said.

After the meeting, Clouser denied having knowledge of the instance Kelley was referring to.

“I support the Bobcat Pledge and take what it means very seriously,” Clouser said. “I always try to be an ally, an accomplice.”

Kelley and Clouser are set to meet Thursday and discuss the incident, according to Clouser.

“It’s not a magic button that’s gonna make people not racist,” Clouser said. “Mean (the pledge) even when you’re not wearing a button.”

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu