Rylie Brown

Back to Bobcat Basics: Rethink that trip to the mall next Thanksgiving

Don't get me wrong, I love to shop, but bargain hunting on Thanksgiving is where I draw the line. Forcing workers to come into work the day before Black Friday is just so unnecessary and uncalled for. 

Next year, before you rush out to get that designer bag at half price or peel out of the driveway to snag a TV, think about those who didn't even get to eat dinner first.

I worked in retail for two years during high school, and my Thanksgiving dinner was cut short, and I didn't get to spend time with my family because I had to clock in. Although I was sad because I couldn't spend the holiday with my family, I was more sad for the mothers and fathers that I worked with. I couldn't help but think about their kids that they had to leave behind that day because they had to work. We’re talking about parents that work at those low-paid retail jobs full time just to get by, and they can't even have one day with their family? Ridiculous. 

I urge everyone to think about those who are not fortunate enough to have a peaceful holiday before they decide to contribute to a greedy consumerist economy for at least one day.

Maybe you can't help yourself. Maybe you need to go out to catch a deal because it's the only way you can afford the item. Please, please, please, whatever you do, at least be respectful, patient and kind to the people who are serving you instead of serving their family Thanksgiving dinner. It's seems simple, but it is so important to stress.

On a last note, just be nice to every worker during the entire holiday season. They're overworked, underpaid and tired. Give them a break, and they'll work with you. Be cheerful, after all, it's what the holidays are about.

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. Please note that the views and opinions expressed by columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you shop on Thanksgiving Day? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.