It's World Vegan Day; former OU standout makes NBA start

Here’s what you need to know for Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016:

News from The Post

The campaign finance reports for the campaigns of Sarah Grace and Jay Edwards have been released. (The Post)

OU President Roderick McDavis will be speaking at the next Graduate Student Senate meeting. (The Post)

Good morning,

Tuesday is World Vegan Day, but vegans may not be able to enjoy all their Halloween candy from Monday night.

Vegans have to steer clear of a lot of candy because of the use of animal products. (Yes, milk is an animal product, and yes, milk chocolate is indeed made with milk). There is some candy that is vegan though, according to PETA, including: Swedish Fish (unless you don’t want to eat animals in truly any from); Nerds; Fun Dip; Sour Patch Kids; Dum Dums; Smarties; Jolly Ranchers; and Dots.

Some candy can be tricky though — some may mistakenly think candies that use animal products like gelatin and honey are vegan-friendly.

Halloween isn’t the only fall holiday with an emphasis on food though. Vegans have to get creative with turkey-centric Thanksgiving. Food & Wine offers some recipes for vegan alternatives to the poultry and gravy, such as a carrot soup, mushroom ragout and focaccia rolls.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

Warmer today with a high of 77 and clear skies. (Courtesy of the Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

Nothing new here, but a former Ohio men’s basketball player makes start with NBA. Also, The Post broke down three takeaways from this year’s soccer season. 

You might also want to know …

Election Day is a week from today and odds increasingly show there may be a split between the popular and electoral vote. (FiveThirtyEight)

A young girl from Michigan is taking her legal battle over a service dog to the Supreme Court. (wwmt.com)

The Cleveland Indians will continue their bid for their first World Series win since 1948 tonight at 8:00 p.m. (MLB)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu