Council member Jeffrey Risner speaks on behalf of the Finance and Personal Committee at the city council meeting on August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Council approves resolution supporting Standing Rock protesters

The Dakota Access Pipeline controversy may be done, but City Council still announced their support for the Standing Rock protesters Monday night.

At their regular meeting on Monday, council approved a resolution that formally supported the Sioux Tribe’s opposition to a pipeline that would have threatened its water supply.

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, said council was moving forward with the resolution because of an interest in human rights.

“We continue to support the water protectors of North Dakota,” Cochran said, “We believe that water rights are human rights.”

Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said the resolution reflects council’s long-held support of water rights.

“This council has a history of legislation and resolutions that keep to the quality of our water.” Papai said.

The council also approved several ordinances on Monday night, including approving water line improvements and authorizing funding for the renovation of the city’s wastewater treatment plant.

In a previous Post report, Council President Chris Knisely, noted that the city’s hills lead to the decay of waterlines.

“We’re always needing to pay attention, infrastructure wise, to those water projects because we’re on hills,” Knisely said. “And when you’re on hills, waterlines are more susceptible to breakage and just needing monitoring and improvements.”

Additionally, the council introduced an ordinance to accept the budget and appropriations for 2017.

Ohio state law requires the city to complete a budget by the end December each year.

Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said the budget can still be amended after it is passed.

“I think that the budget for 2017 is the best that we can come up with at this time,” Risner said. “Remember that the budget, when it’s passed, is a work in progress.”

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu