Ohio University President Roderick McDavis speaks to the class of 2016 at the morning commencement ceremony for undergraduates in The Convo on April 30, 2016. (FILE) 

About 800 undergraduate, graduate students receive degrees at Fall Commencement

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis paused briefly as he returned to his chair and looked up at the lights in The Convo while taking in his final commencement as university president.

“This will be my final commencement as my alma mater’s president, so in a way, today is kind of a graduation day for me, too,” he said. “I am once again leaving Athens to venture out into the real world and begin a new career. And once again, I feel this tug right here, just like I did in 1970.”

McDavis, who graduated with a Bachelor of Science in social sciences in secondary education in 1970, told about 800 graduates during the combined undergraduate and graduate ceremony how his time at OU has affected his life and his career. He recently accepted a position at AGB Search, a higher education search firm based out of Washington, D.C. His final day at OU is Feb. 17, and he starts his new job March 1.

“I love this university, I love its people, I love its mission, I love its purpose, I love its failures and, most of all, I love its accomplishments because of all it has taught me,” he said.

Though he said being involved at the university influenced his career, McDavis also expressed the importance of continuing to learn after students graduate from college.

“If you do it right, you don’t stop learning after your degree is completed,” he said. “Ohio University does not only transform those enrolled in classes. It can transform a 68-year-old alumnus, too.”

Commencement speaker Jenny Chabot spoke about the effect working at OU has had on her, as well. An associate professor of child and family studies in the College of Health Sciences and Professions, she said she respects how kind OU students are, which she said she especially saw when students helped return her Visa card the four times she lost it in Athens.

She emphasized the need to continue helping one another and fostering positive relationships both at OU and after graduation.

“I ask that you contribute to the kindness this world needs so badly right now, at a time when we minimize the need for safe space and genuine humanity,” Chabot, a three-time recipient of the University Professor Award, said.

Pam Benoit, executive vice president and provost, thanked faculty and staff for helping students develop throughout their college careers.

“The time and energy you’ve invested in these graduates is an investment in their personal development and future success,” she said.

That sentiment was also echoed by Chabot, who took part of her speech to acknowledge two faculty members in her department who died of pancreatic cancer in the past year.

At the end of her speech, Chabot described a scene from the TV show The Middle before singing some of “Make Your Own Kind Of Music” as a reference to the show to stress the importance of developing positive relationships.

“Never underestimate the experiences or relationships you’ve cultivated here as a student and the roles they will play as your life continues to unfold,” Chabot said. “I’m so excited for all of you ... Go and create a life you love, and don’t be afraid to sing your own kind of music.”

@kcoward02

kc769413@ohio.edu