APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

Two Ohio football players arrested, charged with aggravated robbery

Three Ohio University students, including two members of the Ohio football team, were arrested and charged with first-degree felonies for aggravated robbery during an off-campus incident.

At approximately 12 a.m. Wednesday, officers from the Athens Police Department were called to South Shafer Street in regard to a “group of suspicious males,” according to a police report.

Upon making contact with the individuals, officers discovered they had been involved in an alleged aggravated robbery, during which no injuries were sustained. The report does not specify if a weapon was used.

Those arrested were Austin Allaby, 20, of Bethel, Connecticut; Desmond Noel, 18, of Cincinnati; and Jacob Ready, 19, of Lakewood. All three individuals were transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and were each served $50,000 bonds during initial appearances in Athens Municipal Court.

According to the team’s roster, Noel is a freshman and Ready is a redshirt freshman for the Ohio football team. Both are listed as offensive linemen. After losing the Mid-American Conference Championship to Western Michigan, the team is scheduled to play Troy in the Dollar General Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, on Dec. 23.

Noel and Ready, however, will not accompany their teammates to Alabama. Both have been suspended indefinitely from the team and will not be permitted to travel for the approaching game, OU Spokesman Dan Pittman said.

According to the police report, the investigation is ongoing and “may result in additional charges.”

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu