Mike Smith

Sporting Insights: Thoughts about the NFC Championship

The Atlanta Falcons have been sneaky good this year. They dismantled the Seattle Seahawks, which many thought would go into the Georgia Dome and win that game. Yet, many are not talking about the Falcons.

Quarterback Matt Ryan had an unbelievable season. He deserves to be talked about in the MVP race alongside Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. I'm not saying he should win, but he definitely deserves consideration. He threw for almost 5,000 yards to go along with 38 touchdowns. 

That is insane. 

Wide Receiver Julio Jones being an absolute monster helped out for sure, but Ryan thrived even in the games Jones missed.

Their defense is no slouch either. Former first rounder, Vic Beasley, had an elite season, in which he had 15-and-a-half sacks. Having pass rushers is a huge key to slowing down elite quarterbacks, and he has been one of the best this season. 

15-year veteran, Dwight Freeney, has also been a great leader for the Atlanta defense. Defensive-minded head coach Dan Quinn brought in Freeney for exactly that after last year's down season.

Atlanta will have a chance in the National Football Conference Championship, regardless of who their opponent is. I like their chances better compared to a team such as the Green Bay Packers. I think that because that game would be at home for Atlanta, and the Packers being very pass-oriented would allow their good pass rush a chance to get to Rodgers early and often. 

I think they could possibly beat Dallas, but the odds are lower. The main reason is that Dallas is just so good at running the ball with their offensive line and Zeke Elliot. Atlanta's pass rushers would have fewer chances to make an impact on the game.

I think the NFC Championship will be a great game next Sunday. Just don't count out the Atlanta Falcons too quickly.

Mike Smith is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about football? Let Mike know by emailing him at ms983012@ohio.edu.