Roderick Mcdavis and David Wolfort listen to a presentation about signs during a Board of Trustees meeting. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Board of Trustees to appoint interim president and vote on tuition increases

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees will meet on campus Thursday and Friday in Walter Hall to name an interim president.

Some other issues the board will discuss include a potential tuition increase for the class of 2021, construction and concealed carry on campus.

Interim president

OU President Roderick McDavis’s final day at OU will be Feb. 17, and the Board of Trustees will name an interim president at Friday’s meeting.

McDavis is leaving OU four months earlier than expected after being selected as the new managing principal for AGB Search, a higher education search firm. He will assume his new position March 1.

OU’s next president will be selected from the four finalists in March, according to a scheduling worksheet from the university’s search firm, Witt/Kieffer.

The board's choice for the position will take office July 1, the day after McDavis’s contract was set to expire.

Tuition increases for the class of 2021

The board will vote to approve a 3.3 percent tuition increase from current guaranteed tuition levels for incoming students for the 2017-18 academic year under the OHIO Guarantee, according to the board’s agenda. That will be the third cohort under the OHIO Guarantee.

Because of guaranteed tuition for the class of 2020, rates would not increase for those students.

The four-year rate for guaranteed tuition means no students would pay an increase in tuition after the first year.

OU will also look to increase tuition by 2 percent for students who are not included in the OHIO Guarantee.

Construction

OU is asking the board to approve more than $10.4 million for various construction projects around campus.

Two of the construction projects focus on Peden Stadium, $715,000 for a replacement scoreboard and $622,000 for masonry stabilization and repair.

The university is seeking the board's approval for $500,000 to improve classrooms in Porter Hall, according to the board agenda. That will provide new paint, carpet, outlets and projection surfaces in rooms 101 through 108.

OU is also seeking $600,000 to improve classrooms in Walter Hall. That will provide new paint, carpet, outlets and visual surfaces in room 135, 145, 235 and 245.

Concealed Carry

OU Faculty Senate will urge the board to take no action that would allow concealed carry on any of OU’s campuses.

Senate Bill 199, which was recently passed by Gov. John Kasich, would allow students to carry concealed weapons on college campuses if the school’s governing body approves.

During its Jan. 9 meeting, Faculty Senate passed a resolution that states the senate is against allowing concealed carry on campus.

All of the board’s sessions are located in Walter Hall.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu