Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

Council makes plans to rezone 110 West Union Street

For more than two years, pedestrians have had to skirt around renovations on a portion of West Union Street that burned down, but city council members plan to open that portion of the street's sidewalk soon.

Council members are taking steps to renovate the sidewalk between Court Street and Congress Street, which could be open by summer. They will officially introduce an ordinance for the project at their meeting Tuesday. The project will cost $160,000, with $115,00 coming from the city’s Street Fund.

Council members discussed different ideas for the repairs at last week's meeting, including having kiosks at both ends of the block, maple trees and decorative flowers, benches and bike racks.

“I would like the bike racks to be representative of Athens in some way and just make it unique,” Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, said.

Council members also plan to rezone the property of 110 W. Union St., which is currently considered a residential property, limiting the renovations the property owners can make. 

That portion of the street is currently split between residential and business properties, but council members plan to introduce an ordinance that will make all of the properties business properties in city code.

Council President Chris Knisely said the owners of the Cat's Den were hoping to make changes, such as removing the house at at the corner of Union and Depot streets, expanding the bar and restaurant's first floor, and converting the three, one-bedroom apartments into a single four-bedroom apartment. 

The owners are also hoping to expand the property and add a microbrewery in the future, according to a memorandum from the Athens City Planning Commission.

Without a zoning change, those renovations would not be allowed.

City Code Director Rick Sirois suggested to city council that they change the entire street to a business district. 

“Personally, this makes sense. It’s better keeping parcels of property one zone,” Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said. “It makes sense for the whole neighborhood to be B-1 as it is a commercial area.”

@BrookEndale

be278114@ohio.edu