Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Economic Development Council asks for extra $5,000 this year

The Athens County Economic Development Council is asking Athens City Council for a larger chunk of taxpayer dollars this year, but council members aren't ready to loosen the purse strings just yet.

Sara Marrs-Maxfield, the director of the organization, asked council members for an extra $5,000 this year for "project strategies," which would increase the city's contribution from $55,000 to $60,000. The organization uses some government funding and some private funding to encourage business growth in Southeast Ohio.

That increase, along with proposed increases in funding from the the county, the city, Ohio University and the port authority, would result in a $20,000 increase in funding.

“Based on the information presented today, I can not support this,” Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said. “We need these numbers flushed out and more transparency on where the money is going.”

She also pointed out that “substantial” wage increases were being given to the staff members.

“You are not convincing me,” Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said to Athens Mayor Steve Patterson.

Patterson serves on the board of directors for the organization, which is comprised of public officials and business owners from southeast Ohio. The wage increase does not apply to board members.

Council President Chris Knisely suggested tabling the topic until later meetings after more information could be presented.

Keith Hall, an architect for MSA Sport, provided council members with updates on the construction process of the city pool. The company has a preliminary design of the pool, which includes a spray ground, a diving pool with eight lanes, geysers, a toddler pool and two run-out slides.

The company is also looking to incorporate elements inspired by the Essence of Athens plan, such as having Athens bricks by the walkway and have folk art painted on parts of the fence. 

There are also plans to add about 35 additional parking spaces. The estimated cost of construction is $7 million, but that cost could fluctuate. 

Hall said the soil under the construction site is "undocumented fill," meaning it is unclear what kind of soil it is. If the soil has to be replaced, additional money will be needed.

The city could cut down on the cost of the pool by using salt water and an electrical current to create chlorine.

That method is cheaper in the long run because it eliminates the need to purchase large amounts of chlorine, though it will cost an extra $10,000 to $20,000 during the initial construction process.

“I think we should take the ... issue seriously and look more into that,” Fahl said. “I know a lot of people I have talked to prefer the salt water.”

The final designs are not set to be completed until Feb. 23, which gives citizens about a month to offer input. 

Construction is set to begin Aug. 25. 

Council members also announced that the weeks of the International Street Fair and Athens Beautification Day would be altered slightly this year.

In the past, the International Street Fair has fallen on the same day as Number Fest, creating logistical issues. This year it will be held April 15, a weekend before the fest.

In previous years, Athens Beautification Day has taken place after Number Fest, but organizers decided to change the date to April 9 so as not to conflict with students studying for finals.

be278114@ohio.edu

@BrookEndale