The Athena Cinema on September 1, 2015. (LIZ MOUGHON | FOR THE POST)

"Sustainable" coming to The Athena Cinema Thursday

The film Sustainable will be coming to Athens to inspire people to be more conscientious of the food they are eating.

The Athena Cinema will show Sustainable Thursday at 7 p.m. as a part of its Food on Film series.

The film will focus on how America’s food system is severely broken due to environmental and economic problems and how the system needs to be fixed quickly.

“It is extremely important to show the centrality to show that every choice we make we (is) either contributing to the solution or adding to the problem,” Theresa Moran, the Food Studies Theme director, said.

Moran believes the film is central to Athens because of how the town already has a locally based food system.

“Athens is the home to an incredible home foods system,” Moran said. “People here are already on the road to what the film is championing.”

Alexandra Kamody, the director of The Athena Cinema, said the sponsors of the event are what allowed the screening to be free.

“The sponsors hope that free admission encourages students and community members to come see these films and get involved with discussions about food,” Kamody said in an email.

The sponsors are The Food Studies Theme, The Common Experience Project on Sustainability, Environmental Studies, Alden Library and the Department of Linguistics.

Moran believes the film is valuable because of how important food is to daily living.

“There is nothing more important than food,” Moran said. “Food ties everything together in our lives.”

Kamody said Athens residents are very aware of where their food comes from. There are multiple ways to get locally grown food, such as the farmer’s market, 30 Mile Meal and Live Healthy Appalachia.

“Athens has been active in supporting the local food movement and sustainable and environmentally friendly practices,” Kamody said in an email.

Moran is looking forward to the film, but she prefers a different word to describe the movement than “sustainable.”

“Personally, I prefer the word resilient,” Moran said. “I prefer that word because it means that there is an ability to react and preserve.”

Moran also believes it is not the goal to change how people eat, but to make people think before they eat.

“Because we never have to think about (eating), we have turned off our brain because there is no need for it,” Moran said. “We just grab and go,”

The film was chosen by the sponsors to start a conversation with students and residents as a whole.

“I think this film is important because it looks at solutions and opportunities to reverse some of the problems,” Kamody said in an email. 

@jess_umbarger

ju992415@ohio.edu