Provided via Lauren Bacho

Photoblog: Social media — balancing memes, professionalism and cat photos

In this day and age, we hear all kinds of things about watching what we post on social media. For photographers, it's even more critical. I've been using Instagram since 2010 and Twitter since 2012. Granted, I didn't always use my social media to promote my brand or anything. I mostly used them to share random photos and retweet memes. 

These days, I use my Instagram as a kind of rough cut of my portfolio. It forces me to keep producing work constantly so I have things to share. The past two semesters I have been taking video classes so I haven't been producing stills as consistently as I would like to, but Instagram is a nice reminder to keep shooting.

My feed is full of recent events I've covered, games I've shot, stories I've been working on, photos that might not have made my original edit, and of course, throwbacks to what I was shooting last year or images I'm still in love with. 

Social media is like my second child. Photography is my first. I run my personal Twitter and Instagram, @ThePostVisuals Twitter and Instagram, and the @OhioUDeltaGamma Twitter and Instagram. This list doesn't include the Facebook pages, Tumblrs, and other platforms with accounts I'm in charge of. But, Instagram and Twitter are really my main focus. 

This past year I changed my usernames to match on Twitter and Instagram. My Twitter used to be @Bach_O_Cookies and my Instagram was @running_photographer. I changed them for branding purposes because I wanted other professionals to be able to find my accounts easier and to have fewer things in my email signature. 

My bios consist of the places I currently work, past internships and a link to my website. It's always important to include a link to more of your work. 

I use my Twitter to retweet the news and write casual tweets about my photo life. I think it's important to not be a robot on the internet, so show your sense of humor! Be your professional self. I usually share more of my professional side than my personal side, but I've been known to share a wholesome meme every now and again. 

I also take every chance I get to share photos of my cat Luna because I love her just as much as I love photos. Bonus

likes are in order if I share a polaroid of her — people eat that aesthetic up. 

I also like to use my social media to meet other photographers. I follow all of the NFL photogs and a good number of them follow me back. It's nice to be able to see new work from photographers I admire and enjoy learning from, as well as getting their feedback on my posts. 

Fun Fact: I've never deleted a post on my Instagram. My 1,223 posts are a huge reflection to how I have grown as a photographer over the past seven years. 

@visual_bacho

lb986213@ohio.edu