Melody Weary, a sophomore studying communication studies, poses for a portrait on January 17, 2016. Weary's New Year resolution is to read more.

Students struggle to keep resolutions while on campus

Many students start the semester with uncommon resolutions, but some are finding it difficult to keep them while on campus.

According to a study done Jan. 1 by Statistic Brain, a website that publishes academic data, only 9.2 percent of Americans consider themselves successful in their resolutions when the year ends. 

Some students are trying to be a part of the successful minority by making fun resolutions, while others are finding it difficult to juggle campus life with their recently made resolutions.

Melody Weary, a sophomore studying communication studies, made a resolution to consistently be reading a book for enjoyment. She is already having difficulty finding time to read for fun with her workload.

“I have a ton of readings for all four communications classes I have,” she said. “I thought making (reading for fun) a resolution would make me do it, but it’s not possible (on campus).”

Being on campus has put her resolution on hold, but when she was at home, she had enough time to pursue it.

“I started a book at home and I’m about halfway through it,” she said. “When I do (have other readings), (my resolution) takes the backseat.”

Despite difficulties, she is planning to stick to her resolution with a few modifications.

“I’ll try to always have a book going,” she said. “But I may not always be actively reading it.”

Torie Hanks, a freshman studying biological sciences, and her friends came up with a game to encourage each other to keep their resolutions.

They each made resolutions for each other based on flaws they saw and assigned each person a punishment if they did not keep their resolution. The resolutions range from the way they discuss their personal relationships to how they conduct arguments with one another. The resolutions are only for a two-week duration, and if they break their resolution, they have to face the consequences. Those consequences vary from being locked in a room with a disliked roommate to being forced to go to the bars nearly every night.

Despite the fun, competitive atmosphere, some group members are already struggling to keep their resolutions for the two weeks.

“We’re going to try to go longer (than two weeks) and see who can make it the longest,” she said. “Half of us have already lost.”

Although it began as a way to keep resolutions, Hanks said it has turned into more of a competition, in which people team up to keep secrets about who has broken their resolutions to keep them from receiving punishments.

“We’ve teamed up against each other,” she said.

Caleb Moore, a freshman studying pre-nursing, finds that his resolution, to run at least five miles a week, is not hindered by being on campus.

“I have much more gym access here,” he said. “And it’s a lot warmer here than it is at home, so if I can’t get into the gym, I can always go (run) outside.”

@emilyy_doll

ed836715@ohio.edu