Sophomore forward Antonio Campbell attempts a shot on Saturday at The Convo. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Ohio preps for Akron despite injury to reigning MAC MVP

For Ohio, life goes on with or without Mid-American Conference MVP Antonio Campbell.

Campbell sat out of Monday’s practice and is considered day-to-day with an undisclosed right foot injury, coach Saul Phillips said.

Phillips said Monday evening that Campbell’s right foot is not broken, and the center is wearing a boot with no crutches. His status is questionable for Tuesday’s matchup at Akron’s James A. Rhodes Arena. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.

“We’re still looking at the ankle as closely as we can,” Phillips said. “And we’re actively getting him to see people to try to figure out what’s causing the aggravation.”

Phillips said Campbell will travel with the team to Akron.

Campbell injured his right foot during the first three minutes of Saturday’s loss to Eastern Michigan.

He was examined in the back of The Convo and did not return to the game. Phillips said the injury was more of a growing aggravation that caused discomfort for Campbell, as the All-MAC forward noted some pain during Saturday’s early shootaround.

Campbell has averaged 16 points and nine rebounds on 53 percent shooting this season.

“Tony is going to be all right,” Jaaron Simmons said. “For me, (Campbell’s injury) makes me more aggressive. From running the team, getting people open shots. But now I’m gonna have to do a little bit more of both. A little bit more of scoring.”

Phillips said he recognizes Ohio’s dilemma: the Bobcats’ difficult schedule — Ohio plays next four of five on the road — and Campbell’s injury.

Doug Taylor will probably start in Campbell’s place Tuesday night, as he ran with the Bobcats’ first team Monday.

“We’re going to need (Campbell) this year," Phillips said. "Obviously, we could use him a lot (Tuesday) night. … If we get definite confirmation that this is what’s causing (the pain) and it can’t get any worse, he’ll play. Until then, he won’t.”

Ohio also harped on free throws during practices Sunday and Monday. Phillips said the Bobcats shot 200 free throws Sunday, making 85 percent of them. During the Eastern loss, Ohio shot 55 percent (16-29) on free throws, a growing concern for a team that shot 76 percent a year ago.

“Just focus,” Simmons, who missed two free throws late during Saturday’s loss, said. “Changed up my routine now. Just a reboot.”

At the crossroads of its regular season, a reboot may be in Ohio’s future. And that reboot could come sometime after Akron.

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu