Ohio University Guard Antonio Campbell goes in for a layup during the game against Eastern Michigan on Tuesday evening at the Convocation Center. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Ohio to host Eastern Michigan on Saturday

Ohio is combating one of the hardest portions of its regular season schedule, and Saturday should be another test of Ohio’s validity among the Mid-American Conference’s best.

Ohio (11-3, 3-0 MAC) will host Eastern Michigan in The Convo on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. It is a one-game home stand amid a portion of Ohio’s schedule during which the Bobcats play three-of-four on the road.

Eastern Michigan (10-6, 2-1 MAC) beat Bowling Green 81-53 on Tuesday, helped by a James Thompson IV double-double (16 points, 11 rebounds), as well as 19 points from Willie Magnum IV.

“I like the fact that we have guys that have gone against this zone before,” Ohio coach Saul Phillips said. 

Ohio defeated Eastern Michigan last season 86-64 behind Antonio Campbell’s 33 points and 11 rebounds. 

“I think that makes me feel a little bit better about it," Phillips continued. "But it is hard to simulate. They obviously work very hard in their zone. They do a pretty good job of disrupting and (are) top-five in the nation in turnovers and steals per game.”

Ohio is coming off a 74-72 win at Buffalo, where the Bobcats bounced back from a 14-point halftime deficit to win with a Kenny Kaminski jumper with just 0.8 seconds left in regulation. After the game, Phillips said Kaminski was hindered by an ankle injury during the win. Kaminski rested during Thursday’s practice and will attempt to practice Friday, Phillips said.

Kaminski isn’t the only Bobcat battling some nagging injuries, though.

Jordan Dartis sat out Thursday because of flu-like symptoms. Campbell wore a left knee brace during Thursday’s practice, and Ellis Dozier wore a face guard during drills.

Regardless, Ohio will lean on its bench, specifically Mike Laster, Doug Taylor and Jason Carter if needed to against Eastern Michigan.

“We’re feeling pretty good, I guess,” Carter said. “As far as Eastern Michigan, we just gotta go in, do our thing and try to get another win.”

Phillips said he has no control over his team’s schedule but doesn’t mind that the Bobcats have played three tough teams in two weeks. The record of Ohio’s four opponents from Jan. 10 to 21 (Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Akron and Northern Illinois): 41-23.

“We’re playing teams that were picked pretty high in the league (right now) so … it is what it is,” Phillips said. “I don’t know how they come up with what they come up with, but I don’t really worry about trying to figure it out either.”

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohio.edu