Consequences possible for on-campus smoking

Here's what you need to know for Thursday, Jan. 26, 2017:

News

• The new Jefferson Market opened Wednesday. (The Post)
  • Students at OU's Athens campus voted against recognizing concealed carry weapons. (The Post)

Good morning.

Ohio University’s campus is tobacco free. Right?

OU officially put the kibosh to on-campus smoking (and using chewing tobacco and vaping) in Fall Semester 2015, but stroll through campus, and you’ll probably find people violating the policy.

That’s probably because there is no penalty for ignoring the rule — except for gentle reminders from the student-staffed Tobacco-Free Campus Task Force.

Those reminders might soon have a little more weight. The final product hasn’t been hammered out, but university officials are talking about making on-campus tobacco use a Code of Conduct Violation.

The new policy isn’t meant to be punitive, “but it will be treated like any other policy,” Ann Addington, assistant director of health promotion, told The Post. “If people violate policies, there can be repercussions.”

It has been more than three years since former VP of Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi told The Post consequences for breaking the no-smoking rule would be put in place. 

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

A bit windy with a 50 percent chance of a rain-snow mix. High of 41 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

Women’s basketball beat Western Michigan on Wednesday night. 

You might also want to know …

Washington state is seeing a Mumps outbreak. (ABC)

The Dow-Jones Industrial Average closed above 20,000 points for the first time Wednesday. (MarketWatch)

jh082913@ohio.edu

@JeremyHTweets