An OUPD vehicle is parked outside of Scott Quad. (JOSHUA LIM | FILE)

Police Blotter: Sheriff’s Office responds to another pastry-related incident

After an alleged snack-cake burglar struck a local residence in November, leaving behind little evidence other than a glass of chocolate milk, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office once again found themselves in the midst of a pastry-related incident.

On Jan. 4, deputies were dispatched to a residence in Coolville in response to reports of two adults engaged in an argument. Upon arrival, however, the deputies found the man in question had moved a pepper shaker away from where the woman was sitting. The man was also reportedly “irate” that a dish containing a partially-eaten donut had been placed on “his side” of the coffee table.

Deputies attempted to remedy the situation by retrieving the pepper shaker for the woman and moving the donut dish back to her side of the coffee table for the man. The man was then advised by deputies to “use quieter tones” when talking and to refrain from moving objects from the woman’s coffee table. In turn, the woman was asked to make an effort to “not antagonize the male” and allow for sharing of space in the residence.

Meanwhile, between Dec. 6 and 26, the Ohio University Police Department filed a relatively small number of reports, including five reports of criminal mischief, one report of theft, four alcohol-related charges and seven drug-related incidents.

Additionally, the Athens Police Department received at least 32 reports of thefts from cars - most of which involved stolen cash and change — around the time of winter break. According to a news release, the money was stolen from both locked and unlocked vehicles, through what the release described as a “concealable method” for entering locked vehicles with little damage.

Another Round

At approximately 2:45 a.m. on Dec. 8 — as many students were busy preparing for final exams — an OUPD officer responded to a report of an intoxicated individual “staggering into oncoming traffic” near the roundabout on Richland Avenue. Upon arrival, the officer found the individual sitting on the sidewalk between the roundabout and bridge, emitting a “very strong odor” of alcohol, according to a police report.

The man, who was found to be of the legal drinking age, was issued a minor misdemeanor charge for disorderly conduct by intoxication and was transported to the OUPD headquarters, where he was later released to a sober friend.

Text Alert

On Sunday, the sheriff’s office received a call from a concerned man who reported that, upon turning on his phone, he had received several “unusual” text messages containing “various emoji” and random statements, according to a report.

Although deputies attempted to contact the message sender, they were unable to receive an answer. As the facts of the case make no indication of being criminal, the case is closed, pending further investigative leads.

Cold Feet

On Saturday, deputies from the sheriff’s office were called to a road in Waterloo Township in response to a report of a woman who had been walking barefoot along the roadway as temperatures dipped into the single digits.

The woman, who had been invited into the caller’s residence to escape the cold, told deputies she was attempting to walk to Athens following an altercation with her ex-boyfriend. Although she was questioned about the incident, the woman was “uncooperative” and was transported to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital for treatment of her feet. No further action was taken in the case.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu