Ian Armstrong pleads to vote cautiously on behalf of the concealed carry law at student senate on Wednesday as (left to right) vice-president, Courteney Muhl, president Hannah Clouser, and treasurer Steve Lichtenfels listen. (LIZ MOUGHON | PHOTO EDITOR)

Student Senate: Students can vote in concealed carry referendum

Ohio University Student Senate is seeking input from the student body on whether to allow the concealed carry of weapons on OU’s campuses.

The concealed carry referendum, the first referendum held by senate, asks students to vote “For” or “Against” the Board of Trustees recognizing concealed carry on campus. The referendum is a recommendation from the student body to Student Senate. Under state Senate Bill 199, which was passed last year, concealed carry would be legal on college campuses if approved by the university's Board of Trustees.

Since their unanimous vote Jan. 11 in favor of holding the referendum, Student Senate members have been working to inform the student body of the upcoming vote.

“It seems to be very polarized,” University Life Commissioner Jacob Haskins said. “Either people are very for it or very against it, and I don’t really know which one is more heavy. It’ll be interesting to see the results of the referendum.”

Polling for the referendum opened online Monday morning and closes Tuesday night. Haskins said more students voted Monday than in the senate election last year.

“Without exact numbers, a way to keep tabs on the vote throughout the day is through social media analytics,” Student Senate Vice President Courteney Muhl said. “We are doing our best to reach out on social media and we’re excited to see the numbers.”

In addition to being active on social media with the hashtag #OUConcealCarry, senate members reserved an information table in front of Baker Center and distributed flyers in dining halls, according to Haskins.

“I would say it kind of exceeded expectations, just because Student Senate wanted a positive turnout,” Director of Veterans Affairs Jordan Simon said about the number of students who voted in the referendum.

University College Sen. Xan Spalding, a resident assistant, said she has been talking with her residents about the referendum.

“I’ve been taking it upon myself to talk to my residents about it,” Spalding said. “It will affect them because they live in the residence halls. I’ve been getting their feedback and putting out that they should have this conversation with me and their friends and their peers.”

@stasia_nicholas

an631715@ohio.edu