Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate will vote on referendum concerning concealed carry on campus

Correction appended.

Ohio University Student Senate will kick off Spring Semester by voting on the implementation of a referendum regarding a house bill regarding concealed carry on campus.On Wednesday, the general body will vote on whether to hold a referendum for the student body to take an official stance on concealed weapons on campus regarding Senate Bill 199.

The recently passed bill allows concealed firearms on college campuses if approved by college trustees. If the Student Senate bill passes, students will have the opportunity to voice either their support or disapproval of the bill on Jan. 23 and 24 when an online referendum will be available.

A vote for the referendum would mean that students call for the Ohio University Board of Trustees to approve a policy recognizing concealed carry. A vote against the referendum would call upon the Board of Trustees to maintain the current policy of not allowing weapons on campus, Chief of Staff Landen Lama said. 

“We want to see as big of student turnout as possible,” Student Senate President Hannah Clouser said. “We want opinions to be accurately represented.”

The vote of the student body will not translate necessarily into the final stance of Student Senate. If Student Senate decides to hold a referendum regarding Senate Bill 199, the results of that referendum will translate into votes within a Student Senate decision, which will decide the official Student Senate stance on Senate Bill 199, Lama said.

While Clouser declined to share her personal opinion on Senate Bill 199, Lama expressed his support of the bill’s provision allowing servicemen to conceal carry.

“There will be a lot of extra people in attendance,” Lama said in regards to the discussion of concealed carry on campus.

In order for the referendum to be brought forth, two-thirds of the Student Senate general body must vote in support at the meeting Wednesday. 

The OU Police Department Chief Andrews Powers will be in attendance at a future Student Senate meeting to discuss concealed carry weapons on campus.

Dependent on the passage of the Student Senate Bill, students will have the opportunity to learn about the effects the state bill has on OU policy at two separate open forums.

Multicultural ambassadors will be present at the meeting Wednesday to give training for the general body regarding cultural competency.

“We heard feedback that people wanted student organizations (to be) cultural competency trained,” Clouser said.

Organizations that complete the training will be certified as an organization that values diversity and inclusion.

“Because (Student Senate members) are in so many student organizations, we’ll be able to see the value (in the training) and then tell their student organizations,” Clouser said.

Two commissioners will also be appointed at the meeting Wednesday.

Both appointees, Ashley Donahue and Jonathon Schlosser, have previous experience on Student Senate.

Donahue will be stepping into the Commissioner role of Off-Campus Life, after previously working as the Vice Commissioner of the same commission.

“I’m really excited for (Schlosser’s) appointment,” University Life Commissioner Jacob Haskins said. “He’s one of the most active members of (Residence Life Commission).

ts802716@ohio.edu

@taylor_snyder01

Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly named the Senate Bill and incorrectly identified the commission one of the appointees belongs to. The article has been updated with the most accurate information.