Tyler Corbit

Tyler's Bit: Why Trump should and shouldn't scare you

My political views are so simple that they are complex. My ballots are beyond split and my views are beyond split. I both love and hate the word moderate and have been called a communist-liberal-hippie and a fascist-hateful-conservative. 

I won’t tell you in this piece who I voted for; if you personally asked me I would have no problem telling you who I voted for at almost any level of the election. Yet in spite of my extreme moderate beliefs, I am just as scared and as well as unfazed by Donald Trump’s next four (or, hey, even eight because logic means nothing) years.

January 20 and 21 were both historic days in their own right: you could be the most liberal Democrat or the most conservative Republican in the world, that can’t take away from the importance of last Friday and Saturday. The election of Donald Trump to the nation’s highest office, whether you like it or not, is historic in its own right. The outsider to end all outsiders, who was supposed to be embarrassed in the election, is now your president whether you like it or not. Then, just one day after his inauguration, around half a million people participated in the national women’s march to show support for women everywhere and throw shade at President Trump. While many were attacking the President, he did one of the most presidential things he has ever done, on Twitter albeit, saying, “Peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy. Even if I don't always agree, I recognize the rights of people to express their views,” showing his awareness toward people's disdain toward him.

The fact that President Trump, who has at times has been the poster child for the now infamous Drake phrase, “Twitter fingers,” is using his BlackBerry for promoting humans, not tearing them down bit by bit. Moreover, the President does have a Congress of committed members on both sides of the spectrum who will do everything in their power to do what the majority of Americans want, not a small group of billionaires. The doom and gloom of an election may be a great way to vent out anger and to sell papers and get YouTube views, but it is not the view the average American should have on a man who has spent less than a month governing us. No president has drastically changed someone’s entire life since Democrat Franklin Delano Roosevelt interred over 100,000 Japanese-Americans. So the odds that he changes your very way of life and puts you in peril is slim to none (If we do get dragged into a World War III because of President Trump you may say I told you so).

At the same time, I get why President Trump is scary. He ran a fear-based campaign, he seems convinced that people of color only live in inner cities and are wildly out of touch with the common man. He once asked why we didn’t use nuclear force more and has very few plans going forward. His press secretary has already lied to the faces of the American people while his campaign manager KellyAnne Conway decided that lies will now be known as “alternative facts” (you can call them whatever, a lie is still a lie).

Our President has his issues, but we have so many great people in Congress fighting for both Democrats, Republicans and anything in between. I love my country with her faults and I hope that you can give President Trump a chance, but hold him accountable if he messes up.

Tyler Corbit is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What do you think about Trump? Let Tyler know by tweeting him @tylercorbit.