Rylie Brown

Back To Bobcat Basics: Trash and treasures of current fashion trends

Winter has rolled around and fashion trends have stormed into town. As I stroll through campus this semester, I’ve noticed the emergence of velvet, the dawn of the puffy winter coat, the era of chokers and the age of military-inspired jackets.

While velvet and puffy jackets should not have been welcomed into the new year; chokers and military-style jackets can stay. Regardless, let’s dive into this month’s rant and rave.

Wearing a velvet dress looks a little bit like someone just walked into kindergarten craft time and told a five-year-old to dress them for their night out. Velvet is too shiny, too cheesy and too over the top to wear; unless you are looking to be outrageous. Luckily the cold weather has been merciful since we arrived on campus for the spring semester, meaning that I get to see less puffy winter coats. Usually, you can spot one if you mistake the person for the Michelin Man. What happened to a classic and simple winter coat? Where did the effortless peacoat go? To each their own, I guess.

If you are looking to toss your puffy jacket now, but need a good alternative, look into a military-inspired winter jacket. They come in a lot of neutral and muted tones, and of course, different lengths that are perfect for those who like a longer jacket.

Are you ready to throw your velvet away too? You might be able to recycle it into the only acceptable way to wear it; make a choker. They add edge to any outfit and are perfect accessories to your weekend wardrobe. Yes, they can be velvet, but only because it is such a small sliver of that dreadful fabric that it will not come across as tacky as a full body draped in it. Here is the green light. On a side note: homemade chokers are much cheaper than retail prices.

It's time to put the velvet and Michelin Man jackets away. I’m not quite sure why they ever showed up in the first place, but nevertheless. Try incorporating a choker into your wardrobe if you want some flair, or a military-inspired jacket if you just tossed your puffy jacket. I promise it’s for the better.

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. Please note that the views and opinions expressed by columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you shop on Thanksgiving Day? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.