ReproWrites: Breaking the negative stigma of abortion and Planned Parenthood

I will be the first to admit that I use the “abortion only makes up three percent of Planned Parenthood’s annual services" line liberally. 

It seems like a really good idea when talking to people who think Planned Parenthood should be defunded. There are countless other statements like this that are used to justify Planned Parenthood or abortion in general to opponents, such as “not all Planned Parenthoods even perform abortions.” But what do those statements do to discussions about abortion in general? They play into the stigma that there should be shame and apologies attached to conversations about abortion.

Who cares how many abortions Planned Parenthood performs? Abortion is a legal medical procedure that anyone has the constitutional right to undergo. Downplaying that fact might seem beneficial in the short term, but it is ultimately harmful to the people who had an abortion or who want to get one and may be experiencing feelings of shame or embarrassment. It plays into the idea that abortion is dirty or wrong. Instead, we should be celebrating the fact that people are getting the health care they need in a safe, supportive environment for an affordable cost.

This also illustrates the importance of being abortion positive, as opposed to just pro-choice or pro-abortion. There is a difference between just saying that abortion is OK, and acknowledging its importance and benefits as a medical procedure. It's important to celebrate these aspects of abortion and the ways in which it gives people control over their lives. Discussing abortion as more of a necessary evil than a positive aspect of our society only contributes to the emotional barriers many people face both before and after their abortions.

I would challenge everyone to try to avoid the strategy of attempting to justify or make excuses for opponents in the future. Alternatively, focus on the fact that it is absolutely ridiculous to attempt to defund an organization that is doing nothing wrong, especially given that their practice is legal. Planned Parenthood simply works to provide lower-income people with safe, legal health care. Instead of downplaying the importance of abortion services, ask those who are in favor of defunding Planned Parenthood why it is so important to them that low-income individuals are prevented from accessing the health care they need. 

Karinne Hill is a sophomore studying sociology-criminology and women's gender and sexuality studies at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What do you think of being abortion positive? Let Karinne know by tweeting her @karinnehill.