Ex Post Facto: Electronic transcript service coming to campus; new parade ordinance could expedite permit process

In addition to the announcement of Ohio University’s 21st president, some of the top stories from the week include a new transcript service coming to campus, an Athens City Council proposal that could make it easier to obtain a parade permit and a town hall discussion with the top candidates for the position of student trustee.

New electronic transcript service to be added in addition to paper request system

Officials in the OU registrar’s office are working with third-party vendors to bring a new electronic transcript service to campus.

Students and alumni who are in need of a last-minute transcript for scholarships and job opportunities will now be able to request their transcripts in PDF form, rather than just on paper. Students can request transcripts online, in person or via mail or fax.

“This is a great service to our students who need an electronic transcript,” Debra Benton, the university registrar, said in an email. “This will enable students to get transcripts to potential employers or anyone much faster than waiting for a paper transcript to be produced and mailed.”

The new service’s anticipated cost is $8.35 and is scheduled to become available by the end of Spring Semester. Transcripts will be available through the registrar’s website.

City Council passes resolution opposing Kasich’s budget, introduces new parade ordinance

On Monday, city council passed a resolution formally opposing Gov. John Kasich’s budget proposal.

The budget would require that businesses file their taxes through the state instead of local municipalities, resulting in tax breaks for businesses but a loss in income for cities. It would also impose a 1 percent service fee on municipalities for the tax collection.

Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, introduced an ordinance that would make it easier for protesters to obtain a parade permit in Athens.

In addition to waiving a $25 fee, the proposed measure could reduce the time needed in advance to request a parade permit from three weeks to seven days. Protesters could also be granted a permit as late as 24 hours ahead of time, at the discretion of Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle.

Eight Student Trustee candidates participate in town hall

The candidates for OU’s junior student trustee position fielded questions from students concerning diversity, tuition and accountability during a town hall discussion Tuesday.

The current pool includes eight students comprised of freshmen and sophomores from various colleges across the university.

The position allows two OU students — a junior and a senior trustee — to serve in a non-voting capacity on the university’s board of trustees for two academic years. Kasich will appoint the student to serve on the board.

When asked if they should be allowed to vote, many of the candidates said they believed the student trustee’s role is to serve as a liaison between the board and the OU student community.

“In terms of having an actual vote on the board, I would come on the side of that not being a necessary thing … The role of a student trustee is really to get the board of trustee members to think about issues they may not be so aware of,” Faith Voinovich, a sophomore studying chemical engineering and one of the eight candidates, said.

Voinovich is a granddaughter of former Ohio Gov., U.S. Sen. and OU alumnus George Voinovich.

The new student trustee will be announced at OU’s Leadership Gala on April 5.

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu