Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University.

On A High Note: DJ E-V talks MGK, Cleveland and modern music

Eric Vajda, better known by his stage name, DJ E-V, has a refreshing, upbeat perspective on modern music, despite many criticizing the industry. I jumped at the opportunity to interview the fellow Clevelander and music fanatic.

Is it important to you to still play shows in Cleveland, now that your career has really taken off? If so, what makes the city special?

"Yes, I find it very important to come back home to always represent. Cleveland raised me; I’m forever grateful for where I came from. It’s not just the city, it’s the people; there are no people like Clevelanders. We are just a different breed; die-hard sports fans that have been through a lot. So glad LeBron ended the so-called “curse” and brought a title back to the city."

How do you feel about the mainstream success of DJs putting out their own records, like Calvin Harris and The Chainsmokers?

"I think that is the way to go nowadays. Growing up, us DJs put out mixtapes. But because of the internet, we have learned how to make our own music. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Calvin Harris and Drew & Alex from The Chainsmokers. A-Trak is one of my favorite DJs though; that’s my dude. He can really DJ and put out a great record. But guys like Diplo, Skrillex, Steve Aoki, Snake, Vice — these guys are crushing it, too."

The Chainsmokers just announced a residency in Las Vegas. As a DJ, do you feel the need to play a lot of shows there because the scene accommodates to the style? Is there another city you feel has just as much potential for appreciation?

"Vegas is definitely one of the biggest places to play as a DJ. The clubs are just wild. I think all cities are great to play in, and the people appreciate you just as much, if not more in the smaller cities."

How did the Machine Gun Kelly collaboration come about?

"I’ve been friends with Kells for a long time. I was working on my EP with Chaz Jackson, and Kells liked this one demo I played him with Lorine Chia on it. Mind you, she (Lorine Chia) was, like, way under the radar at this point in time, and from there we just cooked. Really happy with the turnout of that record."

What was MGK like to work with?

"Always a great time; that dude is a rockstar! Really proud of how hard he has worked over the years, no one deserves it as much as him. His live performance is like no other in the industry; he is surrounded by a great team of talented musicians."

Are you more proud of the work you’ve done solo or the projects that you have collaborated with other artists on?

"A little bit of both. Obviously, I take pride in my music, but I'm really happy to have been a part of local and indie projects like “Bitch I’m From Cleveland,” my site ImFromCleveland.com, and also worked with artists in the start of their career like Kid Cudi, Chip Tha Ripper, Al Fatz and MGK. I plan on continuing working with the new up-and-comers from Cleveland, such as Ripp Flamez, Doe Boy, Lil Cray and a single this year with Ezri 'Ezzy' Walker and Marz Ferrer."

As music becomes more and more reliant on technology, do you think that some creativity of the art is being lost, or would you say that there is more opportunity for originality?

"Honestly, I think it allows more room for creativity. What used to require a crazy level of musical ability can now be accomplished by creative minds who work hard at their craft. It’s amazing to see people who 30 years ago wouldn’t be making music, (but) are now super famous for creative production and catchy songs that they make on their laptop."

Are you working on anything in the studio right now?

"Yeah, I’m working on a new MGK remix, a Krewella remix and my upcoming EP. Stay tuned!"

Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Are you a Clevelander who is a music fan, too? Let Halle know by emailing or tweeting her at hw422715@ohio.edu or @HalleWeber13, respectively.