Amplified Observations: Future shakes up conventions with two albums in two weeks

Only a handful of artists have the confidence to overshadow their own release before the public can fully digest it. Even between innocuous promotional singles, time is often given to let the music breathe and take root.

But over the past two weeks, Atlanta Trap and luxury rapper Future successfully served his base a two-hour feast of new music that spans the full spectrum of his sound.

Taking part in the seldom-used double release strategy, Future released a familiar but enthralling self-titled album of boastful rap Feb. 17 and immediately followed it up last Friday morning with the more introspective and R&B-laced HNDRXX, a reimagined callback to his earlier studio albums.

During that same night of Feb. 24, Thundercat’s new record, a Young Thug video and a slick Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos collaboration also hit the internet, but none overshadowed the wave of excitement that future conjured up. The #FutureHive had been kicked.

Other artists have simultaneously released albums as recently as Frank Ocean’s Blonde and Endless or Beach House's Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars, but none commanded the collective presence of FUTURE and HNDRXX (project titles that combine to form one of the artist’s many monikers).

Both of Future’s releases embody fully realized concepts divided by theme, unlike other dual releases that seem to be separated from one session and watered down throughout two or three albums. For reference, Green Day’s exceedingly subpar trilogy of ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré! exemplifies everything that could go wrong with this strategy. Undoubtedly, Future had something different in mind.

The first album, FUTURE, presents unabashed, exorbitant drug and sex-riddled verses and an abundance of Tweetable lyrics. The flute sample on “Mask Off” and the Her soundtrack sample on “Might as Well” also give the beats some character over Future’s usual subject matter, referencing designer fashion, famous drug dealers and general grandeur.

HNDRXX, the more surprising release of the two, offers more of an introspective and less exaggerated look at the man behind the sunglass-covered eyes and diamond-encrusted chains. The hour and nine-minute album covers topics like relationship pain, child custody, the downsides of drug-dealing and personal recovery.

The final song, “Sorry,” is the most extensive look at Nayvadius Wilburn’s conscience since D•S2’s narrative track “Kno the Meaning.”

Not to mention, Future saved two powerhouse features from The Weeknd and Rihanna for the surprise release, after reviews of the first album had already been published. That’s a power move in itself, with the second album expressing more diversity with moments in “Comin Out Strong” bordering on chopped-and-screwed and the emotional complexity on songs like “My Collection,” “Fresh Air” and “Use Me.” It provides a perfect answer to FUTURE’s initial criticism.

Perhaps Nelly’s 2004 Sweat and Suit release or Justin Timberlake’s neo-soul records The 20/20 Experience 1 and 2 point to the closest precedent to this past month’s releases. But with Future simultaneously conquering two genres, he reminded everyone that his prowess is not just self-manufactured and gave fans two solid follow-ups to 2015’s nearly flawless EVOL.

It is unlikely that anyone will replicate and be able to pull off anything like Future just did with the same impact. He provided the best of both his worlds and gave fans enough high-quality artistry to dissect for a while.

There is talk of Future releasing a third album next week, but if that happens, I almost don’t feel unworthy and undeserving to be given so many lyrics to memorize in such a short amount of time.

We can only wait to see if Future continues to push the limits of overwhelmingness too far or innovates the release strategy to a degree so lavish and self-reveling that it could only be done at his ingenious discretion.

Luke Furman is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Are you into Future's releases this year? Let Luke know by tweeting him @LukeFurmanLog or emailing him at lf491413@ohio.edu.