Ian Armstrong, Gradutate Student Senate President, addresses the body at their first meeting on September 6, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

Graduate Student Senate: Body asks university to support international community

Graduate Student Senate approved a resolution that proposes ways for Ohio University to support international, immigrant and undocumented students under President Donald Trump's administration.

Some of the ways the resolution, which was tabled at the last meeting so the body could get clarification on policies, asks the university to address those needs is by adding citizenship status as a protected category in the university's harassment policy.

The resolution asks that, unless legally obligated to do so, the university would not allow Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, the Department of Homeland Security and other federal immigration agencies into restricted access spaces on campus, such as residence halls.

The resolution does not use the term “sanctuary campus.” Ziad Abu-Rish, an assistant professor in the Department of History told the body he thinks the term has been used rhetorically by people who want to see better protection of communities that are targeted, but also by people who don’t want the protections to be in place.

“What I appreciate about this resolution is it doesn’t use the language ‘sanctuary,’ ” Abu-Rish said. "It is not a rhetorical resolution but a resolution that provides practical steps that the university can take to better defend students, faculty and staff who are part of our community."

Some GSS members said the resolution does not ask the university to do anything illegal. Supporters of the resolution said that OU’s peer institutions have made statements saying they will continue to protect and support the international student community.

“We’re not asking OU to label itself as a sanctuary campus but just to offer compassion and support to international students and undocumented students,” Tianyi Cai, department representative of electrical engineering, said.

In addition to that resolution, the body went into executive session to discuss issues surrounding the Equity and Civil Rights Compliance Memorandum of Findings against Andrew Escobedo, Spencer Smith, vice president of communication, said in an email. Escobedo is an OU English professor who was accused of sexual harassment by several female graduate students.

“GSS members agreed that the behaviors discussed were egregious, that diagnosis of alcoholism does not excuse the behaviors in the Memorandum of Findings,” Smith said in an email.

GSS passed a resolution to send a letter to OU Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit requesting that Escobedo be fired. The letter also calls for “enhanced, frequent and consistent training in the areas of sexual assault, civil rights and harassment.”

“We believe that Ohio University must commit to ending this culture, and we recommend mandatory training programs as one avenue for this effort,” the letter reads.

GSS voted to send a letter to former OU President Roderick McDavis thanking him for the what he accomplished during his tenure.

The body approved resolutions to amend the Rules and Procedures, to appoint new members and to recommend a policy change regarding switching advisers.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu