Ian Armstrong, Gradutate Student Senate President, addresses the body at their first meeting on September 6, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

Graduate Student Senate: Body to vote on resolution to sanction English professor accused of sexual misconduct

Graduate Student Senate will vote on six resolutions at its meeting Tuesday night, including one to take an official stance regarding the “sanctioning of Andrew Escobedo for sexual misconduct.

The resolution, which has five sponsors, proposes that GSS advises Ohio University administrators to remove Escobedo’s tenure and terminate his appointment. Escobedo is an English professor at OU who was accused of sexual harassment by several female graduate students.

If the resolution passes, the body will send a letter to OU Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit.

“In light of the Memorandum of Findings issued by ECRC on 15 December 2016 concerning the sexual misconduct and sexual harassment investigation into the actions of Dr. Escobedo, we believe that this response is the best option to protect Ohio University students and to signal our institution’s commitment to creating an environment where students can flourish,” the letter said.

Colleen Carman, commissioner for Women’s Affairs, said she finds it important to condemn Escobedo’s actions.

“The incidents of sexual harassment have occurred over a span of 12 years,” she said in an email. “His presence as a faculty member on campus directly affects the safety of Ohio University students.”

In addition to that resolution, GSS plans to vote on three old business resolutions. One of the resolutions asks OU to address the needs of international and undocumented students. The resolution asks that the university protect international students in several different ways.

One way the resolution asks to protect international students is by adding citizenship status as a protected category in the university harassment policy. It also states that the Ohio University Police Department would not enforce immigration law on behalf of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement or the Department of Homeland Security.

“The sponsors of this resolution feel that it is important that OU administration demonstrate its commitment to supporting all students by taking the actions described in this resolution,” Angie Chapman, vice president for legislative affairs, said in an email. “It is important to note that this resolution does not call for the university to break any laws or take any illegal actions.”

GSS will also vote to thank Former OU President Roderick McDavis for his work during his tenure. This is a joint resolution that passed in Student Senate at its previous meeting.

“Your legacy at Ohio University, having served as our twentieth president, will endure long after your tenure in the office ends,” the letter states.

Maria Modayil, senator for Graduate College and a sponsor for the resolution, said GSS would have sent the letter sooner, but the nature of the body’s bi-weekly meetings made it so it could not be voted on until Tuesday’s meeting.

“I personally feel that President McDavis contributed a lot to this University in the past 13 years and saw the University through some very difficult times,” Modayli said in an email. “I have had few interactions with him and I admire him as a leader. Therefore, it was only befitting for us to recognize his accomplishments, contributions and wish him well on his next chapter.”

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu