Rylie Brown

Back to Bobcat Basics: The best and worst dressed of the Grammys

I know it has been a week, but I have finally decided on the best and worst dressed from this year’s Grammy awards. If I’m being honest, I enjoy watching the red carpet shows just as much as I enjoy watching the actual ceremony. Partially because I find the majority of celebrities’ gowns hideous, but I do appreciate the art and thought behind each look. 

In my opinion, this year’s best dressed was Hollywood’s power couple Chrissy Teigen and John Legend, but the red carpet quickly took a turn for the worst with Katy Perry’s ridiculous dress and CeeLo Green’s disturbing alter ego.

Classy and timeless, yet bold, daring and dark, Chrissy Teigen stunned everyone in a bondage-inspired, long sleeve, black dress with cutouts in all of the right places. Teigen's hair was perfectly primped, and her smokey eyes blew me away. I would like to think if I went to the Grammys, I would show up in something equally as edgy. Teigen must have set the bar high for her husband and red carpet photo-op partner because John Legend brought it. The lyrical genius and serenading virtuoso wore a sharp black suit over a beautiful, dusty-rose button down shirt paired with an oversized drooping bow tie with black details. The dusty rose color was the perfect complement to the couple’s dark theme and a subtle contrast to Teigen’s bold dress. This couple deserves an applause for their ensembles.

Now let’s get down to the dirty truth: Katy Perry’s dress was cringe-worthy. The shiny, pink, long sleeve top was eye catching and not in a good way. I guess the top wasn’t even the worst part because the dress’ train was a pink doppelgänger for a 70s-inspired shag carpet. Perhaps the only other poor clothing choice attached to Perry’s name is her new shoe collection. Each pair of shoes is impractical and somehow worse than the next. I will give her a compliment though because her blonde hair is beautiful and frames her face nicely. 

CeeLo Green, I’m quite speechless. First of all, what? And secondly, why? Well, the “why” is that he was revealing his new alter ego, Gnarly Davidson. The “what” part still stands. Green’s gold mask was nightmare inducing. People have been comparing his look to a Ferrero Rocher chocolate wrapper, and honestly, I can’t sum it up any better.

Every year I look forward to the Grammys red carpet looks, and every year I have a couple of looks that I love and a couple that stun me. The only other event I get excited for is the Oscars, which is only a week away, so stay tuned folks. 

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. Please note that the views and opinions expressed by columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What do you make of CeeLo Green's attire? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.