Gaza Odunaiya practices the hammer throw during track and field practice March 24. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio wraps up the indoor season at the MAC championship

Ohio earned 10 points and finished 12th at the indoor Mid American Conference Championship meet this past Friday and Saturday at Eastern Michigan.

The rest of the MAC finished as follows: Akron finished first with 145 points, followed by Eastern Michigan with 139 points, Kent State with 60 points and Bowling Green with 44 points. Buffalo and Northern Illinois came in with 39 points apiece, Western and Central Michigan both earned 38 points, Ball State and Miami had 37 points each and Toledo finished up with 36 points.

The highest finish for the Bobcats came from Alyssa Atkinson who earned a sixth-place finish in the 3K with a time of 9:43.18.

Athens native Gaza Odunaiya came in seventh in the weight throw with a throw of 17.88 meters to finish her breakout indoor season.

Taylor Smith came in eighth in the high jump with a jump of 1.68 meters, while Amelia Milton came in eighth in the 800-meter-run with a time of 2:13.62.

Coach Clay Calkins and the rest of the Bobcats have now finished the indoor season and will look to rest up and learn from the winter.

They will begin to prepare as they transition to the new events in the outdoor season that starts in two weeks in North Carolina.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu