Ohio University President Roderick McDavis poses for a portrait in Cutler Hall on Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2017.

McDavis caps 13 year tenure with tearful goodbye

Correction appended. 

This story has been updated with the most recent reporting.

After thirteen years, Roderick McDavis’ tenure as President of Ohio University has officially ended.

On Friday afternoon, about 70 people gathered to applaud the now-former president and his wife, Deborah, as they exited Cutler Hall. A farewell event scheduled for last week had been canceled due to a planned protest.

“This is the first time I’ve been unemployed since 15 years ago, and I hope he can take care of me,” Deborah McDavis joked.

The couple wiped tears from their eyes and held hands as they strolled across the bricks of College Green for one final time as president and first lady.

Many notable OU faculty were in attendance, including Vice President for Student Affairs Jason Pina, Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones and Assistant Dean of Students Jamie Patton.

Patton said McDavis and his wife have been model citizens and impacted the university in a positive way.

“We’ve had a great example of a president and first lady for the past 13 years that helped us create a transformative learning community,” he said.

Patton also said that McDavis’ legacy will ultimately be positive. In addition to “growing an institution” he said he would also be remembered for obtaining more financial aid and scholarships for all students.

David Descutner, who will take over as interim president Feb. 18, was also present at the event.

“I feel honored in every way,” he said. “This is a university that I care deeply about, and this is a president I respect deeply.”

During his time as interim president, Descutner said he intends to continue the progress started by McDavis, as well as assist in the transition process between the new president.

“The university is in real good shape due to President McDavis’ leadership, both here in Cutler and across the university,” he said. “They’re making great progress with critical initiatives and I’m going to help them in every way I can.”

The OU Board of Trustees will announce McDavis’ successor Feb 22. Descutner will serve as interim president until July 1, when the new president takes over.

McDavis, meanwhile, will begin work at AGB Search, a higher education search firm in Washington, D.C., on March 1.

"Being your President has only deepened my love for Ohio University," McDavis said in an email to the university Friday. "I was one of its most passionate alumni before I started my tenure, and I will leave with a heart that forever beats for the green and white. Thank you for sharing this journey of a lifetime with me."

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this article misquoted Assistant Dean of Students Jamie Patton. The article has been updated to include the most accurate information.