Ohio University President Roderick McDavis announces his retirement on Thursday, March 10, 2016, in Walter Hall Rotunda. McDavis will remain president until the end of his contract on June 30, 2017. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | FILE)

OU cancels farewell event for President McDavis because of planned protest

This story has been updated to reflect the most recent reporting.

The Ohio University presidential farewell event for Roderick McDavis has been canceled after the Office of the President was informed of a planned protest at the same time and place as the farewell event.

The event was scheduled to take place Tuesday from 3-5 p.m. in Walter Hall Rotunda, but was canceled Tuesday afternoon, according to a news release.

"We want to be sure that campus is not going to be open to more difficulties and stress at the expense of a farewell to us," McDavis said in the news release. "We know so many of you respect and hold us in a high regard, and that itself is enough to let us know we have all their blessings and well wishes."

McDavis also said he has concerns for Ohio University Police Department officers and wants "to avoid unnecessary run-ins between OUPD officers and protesters."

McDavis, whose last day in office is Feb. 17, was at the Faculty Senate meeting Monday night, but he and Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit received criticism for not showing up to speak with demonstrators during last week’s sit-in at Baker Center where 70 people were arrested. Attendees at the senate meeting also said the administration’s stance on Trump’s immigration policy was not strong enough.

Graduate Student Senate President Ian Armstrong said McDavis canceling Tuesday’s event was surprising and disappointing.

“It casts a shadow on the significant contributions and impact that President McDavis has had on this community,” Armstrong said in a statement. “I think it's important to recognize that many individuals and groups disagree with the handling of last week's sit-in. But, it's critical that we don't let this tear apart the unity of our campus."

OUPD’s Department Recognition Ceremony was also canceled Tuesday afternoon “due to a series of events and issues that have required our attention and time,” according to a news release from OUPD Chief Andrew Powers. The event was scheduled to take place at 7 p.m. in Baker Ballroom.

“While I believe it is important to recognize the hard work and achievements of our employees and community members, the safety of our community will always be our first priority,” Powers said in the statement.

Powers said OUPD hopes to reschedule the event for later in the year.

Post alumni wrote a letter McDavis to protest the police response to the Baker protest. 

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu