Ian Armstrong pleads to vote cautiously on behalf of the concealed carry law at student senate on Wednesday as (left to right) vice-president, Courteney Muhl, president Hannah Clouser, and treasurer Steve Lichtenfels listen. (LIZ MOUGHON | PHOTO EDITOR)

Student Senate: Body will vote on bill relating to university’s response to protestors

Ohio University Student Senate will vote on a bill in regard to the university’s response to the protest against President Donald Trump’s immigration ban at Wednesday night's meeting. 

The bill, if it passes, will call upon OU administration to immediately request all charges against the 70 students arrested for participating in what the bill calls a “peaceful protest” in Baker Center on Feb. 1 be dropped.

“Academic freedom and free speech are core values of Ohio University,” the bill says. “Ohio University was founded to educate and prepare students for lives as active and engaged citizens.”

The bill also calls for the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility not to sanction any student who participated in last week's protest. OU President Roderick McDavis and Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit will be asked to meet in a public forum with the student protestors to hear and respond to their grievances, if the bill passes.

A copy of the bill would be sent to McDavis, Benoit, Interim President David Descutner, Director of the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility Martha Compton, Vice President for Student Affairs Jason Pina and Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones.

“I am looking forward to productive conversation,” Student Senate President Hannah Clouser said.

The body will hear presentations from Descutner and Student Trustee PJ Roden. 

In addition to the bill in regard to the university’s response to the protest, senate will vote on one bill, three appointments and three resolutions.

The bill is to add senate’s support for an increased graduate student general fee buy-down. The appointments are for an international Affairs senator, a Residence Life Commission senator and a Senate Appropriations Commissions uFund senator.

The three resolutions concern budget. Budget Committee Chair Jacob Haskins said he believes the resolutions to purchase Sex Week tabling supplies for $96 and blue books and copy paper for $183.65 will pass.

“They are common things that the Senate Body typically endorses. I believe we will have a lengthy discussion about the Judicial Panel compensation,” Haskins said, referring to a resolution that would compensate the Judicial Panel with a total of $575.

@stasia_nicholas

an631715@ohio.edu