Students studying abroad see foreign views of President Donald Trump

During the first week Maddy Saunders arrived in Denmark, she took part in a “speed-friending” event in which they were given three minutes to get to know one another. It went well until someone from Mexico noticed she was from the U.S.

“He proceeded to pick up a piece of paper and hold it between our faces, joking, ‘should I build a wall?’ I laughed a little, but it was really awkward, and the conversation stalled a bit after that,” she said in an email.

Some Ohio University students studying abroad this semester have received questions and concerns from people from around about politics in the U.S. In June, about 9 percent of Europeans surveyed believed President Donald Trump would "do the right thing in world affairs," according to a CNN article.

Saunders, a sophomore studying sociology, is currently part of an exchange program at the University of Southern Denmark in Odense, Denmark.

While living in Denmark, Saunders is taking an American Studies course and said it’s interesting to see how Europeans’ perspectives about the U.S. are different than she would have thought. She said to hear what they think about American culture and politics is the most interesting part of her trip so far.

Saunders said watching the news and hearing about what is happening in the U.S. doesn’t always seem real.

“Every time I read a headline, especially about Trump, it feels like it’s happening in some far off fairytale land I’ll never have to worry about being in, and not the place I grew up and will return to in June,” Saunders said in an email.

Maggie Saine, a sophomore studying psychology, also said seeing the news feels like she’s “watching a reality TV series.” Saine is studying in Toledo, Spain, at the University of Castilla-La Mancha.

“I often have to take a step back and realize that this is real, and actually happening while I'm away,” she said in an email.

Lucas Reilly, a senior studying photojournalism and Spanish, is also studying abroad in Toledo, Spain this semester. He said people in Spain seem to keep up with American politics more than he expected.

“Many here are incredibly aware of world news and probably keep better track of U.S. current events than many of my friends at OU do,” Reilly said in an email.

However, Reilly said he has not found anyone who supports Trump or his policies.

“Even in what is a more conservative Spanish city, I haven't found anyone who likes Trump,” he said in an email.

Also while in Spain, Saine said her teacher’s 7-year-old son wanted to visit the U.S. since he learned about New York City in school. Since the election, however, he is afraid he will not be allowed to go when he is older.

“For a child at that age to fear for our nation and not feel welcomed to visit a place he used to love so much, speaks volumes for the image that Donald Trump is portraying of the U.S. and its people,” Saine said in an email.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu