Ohio junior Christina Seas competes in the 5k at the Marshall indoor meet on Friday, Jan. 27, 2017.

Track and Field: Ohio looks to bring home championships at the MAC meet

Ohio will travel to Ypsilanti for the indoor Mid-American Conference Championship meet Friday and Saturday.

The Bobcats will send 22 participants to Eastern Michigan to compete for MAC championships across different events. It is something the Bobcats have been preparing for all season when they competed in events with many different teams.

The competition in those events has not always been up to MAC quality, but a mostly youthful Ohio squad is ready to tune out the competition and focus on itself.

Ohio has seen MAC schools compete, so some athletes are familiar with the marks needed to contend this weekend.

Some Bobcats to watch this weekend are Emily Deering, who broke a 28-year school record in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:35.01, and Gaza Odunaiya, who has the third-best weight throw in school history with a throw of 18.24 meters.

Ohio will also look for big performances from Olivia Mayfield in both the 60-meter dash and the long jump, Jordan Porter in the shot put and Alyssa Atkinson in the mile run.

For the athletes, the indoor MAC Championship is not an end to the season but a goal they have been training toward all winter. There is still an outdoor season coming, and there are still championships to be won.

For the coaching staff, the indoor championship will serve as the end of a building block because after Saturday, the focus will shift to the outdoor season that starts in two weeks.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu