The Athens County Comissioners meet on Nov. 1 to discuss a new security camera system and load limits on roads.

Upgrades to be made to Athens County vehicle fleet

Athens County will be able to use a new construction tractor soon to help plow the roads and sidewalks when the next snowfall comes.

The tractor was one of three vehicle-related purchases the Athens County Commissioners approved during their meeting Tuesday. Commissioner Charlie Adkins also proposed purchasing a sweeper that could attach another construction tractor which the county can access.

"It'd be nice to have a broom (attached to) the Bobcat (tractor) so that when you get to one end (of a sidewalk), you can just turn around and go the other way," Adkins said.

The sweeper attachment would be purchased from Green and Sons Farm and Law Equipment. It would cost around $3,400, Adkins said, but could potentially be bought at cheaper prices of $500 or $1,000 during an inventory reduction auction later this month.

The commissioners approved the purchase of a new tractor for their grounds crew.

The tractor the county uses was purchased in 2009 and is having some hydraulic issues, Adkins said. A new tractor could potentially have a sidearm, which could make shoveling snow on bike trails much easier. The tractor would have a 12-foot batwing mower, an upgrade from the 6-foot batwing mower on the county's current tractor.

The new tractor, front loader and batwing would cost around $50,000, Adkins said.

The commissioners approved the purchase of a bucket truck Ohio University no longer needs. OU agreed to sell the diesel-powered truck commonly used by electricians to Athens County for $600.

@thenextbigming

kp003216@gmail.com