Emily Mclntyre

Fit by the Fork: Sweet (and healthy) ways to splurge on Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is one of those holidays that you either love or hate. Even if you hate it, you can’t deny it’s kind of the dessert version of Thanksgiving with all the chocolate and sweets you can eat — and no one can judge you for it. Pop in a rom-com with friends or snuggle up with your significant other, then whip up one of these easy, guilt-free treats.

Hot Chocolate

Swiss Miss and Nesquik are pretty delicious, but you can skip the weird preservatives and sweeteners with this version. Put one heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder in a mug and add 8-10 ounces of warm milk (or milk substitute). Stir until any clumps are completely dissolved. Add sugar to taste. You can experiment with different flavors by adding other mix-ins such as peppermint candies or caramel squares.

Pudding parfaits

Well, pudding isn’t exactly a health food, but most of the varieties nowadays are low-fat and offer a great amount of calcium. Layer the pudding with different candies or cookies, grab a spoon and go to town.

Chocolate dip

Who doesn’t love chocolate fondue? To bump up the protein, try mixing half a cup of vanilla (or plain) Greek yogurt with three tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. Depending on how sweet you want it, you can add some brown sugar or honey. Serve with banana slices, strawberries, pretzels, etc.

Brownies or cake mixes (healthy substitutions)

If you’re making a boxed cake or brownie mix, you can lighten it up by substituting ½ a cup of unsweetened applesauce for any oil the recipe requires. Also, using a 2:1 ratio of egg whites to whole eggs will save you calories and fat. I used both of these substitutions in my red velvet cupcakes I made from a boxed mix and even my friends couldn’t tell the difference.

Of course, if sweets aren’t your thing, you definitely deserve to treat yourself to something (flowers, a new video game or even that new shirt you’ve been eyeing while online shopping). Happy Valentine’s Day, Bobcats!

Emily McIntyre is a senior studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your favorite Valentine's Day gift ideas? Let her know by emailing her at em564912@ohio.edu.