The District on West Green is one of the many dining halls on campus.

Vegan options removed from The District on West Green’s Between The Bread

This semester, there is one fewer option for vegan and vegetarian Ohio University students eating at The District on West Green.

At the beginning of the 2016-17 academic year, The District, also commonly referred to as Boyd Dining Hall, provided different tofu options and vegan chicken created to accommodate the vegan and vegetarian student population at the make-your-own-sandwich station called "Between the Bread." However, OU Culinary Services has removed the vegan-friendly hot sandwich options this semester.

The change has students like freshman Azure Moon wondering why Culinary Services made that particular choice. 

“I was disappointed to see them go,” Moon, who is studying entrepreneurship, said. “Boyd has the best vegan options, even without the sandwiches.”

Due to the less-than-1-percent consumption rate among students, the vegan items were removed at Between the Bread because of a weak demand, Dan Pittman, an OU spokesman, said.

“However, we have increased vegan options throughout the other concepts at The District. For example, we offer six different varieties of hummus daily at our Destinations concept,” Pittman said in an email.

Pittman explained how Culinary Services uses other stations at The District to accommodate those who are vegan. Those options include vegan chicken strips and plain tofu at the Noodled station, white bean meatballs and whole sweet potatoes at the Carvers Cut station and spiced lentils and vegetarian ratatouille at Destinations.

As a vegetarian for three years, Jensen Tata, an undecided freshman, said she goes to The District every day and used to always get the vegan chicken as it was one of her favorite options.

“I think (the removal of those options is) ridiculous,” Tata said. “They didn't just remove the options but they removed them and replaced them with only meat replacements. It is very disappointing.”

As for the other dining halls, vegan and vegetarian options are also available.

“Vegan and vegetarian eating is a hit or miss at dining halls. … Nelson has a lot of options, so that is nice, but it's not usually the best,” Tata said. “Probably Shively now has the best options, but they aren't always healthy. Boyd's pasta can easily be made vegan and vegetarian, but there isn't a lot of protein in that.”

There is hope for those who are looking to bring a hot sandwich option back into their diet.

“Every semester we are looking at new menu options to meet the need of our customer base,” Pittman said in an email. “We do not plan on changing the hot sandwiches for fall semester 2017 but will be looking for spring semester 2018.”

Although some students seem to be disappointed about the change, Pittman said Culinary Services has not heard any formal complaints about the removal of the options.

“My suggestion to Between the Bread would be to offer one or two vegan sandwich bases at all times, rather than having them as specials,” Moon said. “That way, vegans know they will always have an option.”

@lesliemilkie37

lm755415@ohio.edu