Andrew Escobedo (provided via Colleges of Arts and Sciences website)

OU interim president moves to fire professor accused of sexual harassment

Ohio University interim President David Descutner has initiated the process to dismiss an English professor accused of sexual harassment.

“The grounds for dismissal are that for an extended period of years you have engaged in a pattern of sexual advances directed at students whom you have supervised, graded, or advised as well as colleagues in your department,” Descutner wrote in a letter to Andrew Escobedo.

According to the letter, Escobedo is entitled to a hearing before a faculty committee to determine if he should be removed from his position. He must request the hearing by April 3.

At a Feb. 7 discussion, a majority of English faculty members voted that Escobedo should be detenured and dismissed for his actions. Fourteen voted for dismissal, eight voted against and two abstained from voting.

An Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance investigation found on Dec. 15 that Escobedo sexually harassed and inappropriately touched female students in incidents dating back as far as 2003. Six students filed complaints, and the office found enough evidence in four cases to merit a violation of university policy.

One English graduate student told investigators that he touched her vagina over her clothing after buying her drinks at a bar. Another said he kissed her without consent later the same night and rubbed his erection against her leg. Both said they feared denying his advances would harm their grades or reputations.

Escobedo is a tenure-track professor who began working for the university in 1998 and makes $87,149 a year. He is on paid administrative leave and is not permitted on campus until the disciplinary process ends.

At a Feb. 24 rally outside Ellis Hall, a crowd of students demanded Escobedo be fired. They hung a banner that read “stop protecting predatory professors” and expressed support for victims of sexual assault and harassment.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu