Ashwin Ramanujan, left, and Charitha Ananthula, right, performs a dance at Holi in Baker Ballroom on Sunday evening. (LIZ MOUGHON | PHOTO EDITOR)

OU’s annual Holi festival celebrated the arrival of spring with cuisine and dance

Despite working in Columbus, Abhi Raichur took the weekend off to return to Athens and become the co-host of Ohio University’s annual Holi festival.

“In a way, I’m representing (the Indian Students Association),” Raichur, an alumnus of Ohio University, said. “So I feel good (and) proud.”

Hosted by the Indian Students Association, the celebration took place in Baker Ballroom where energetic music and laughter could be heard throughout the event.

With the theme “Bura na mano Holi hai!” (translated as “Take it easy, it’s Holi!”), the festival was a celebration of spring and the victory of good over evil.

The emcees began the evening by introducing what the festival looked like through videos depicting the celebration of Holi in India.

Shilpa Krishnan, a graduate student studying medicine, said one of the things she loves about Holi is that the festival is about equality.

“When you put colors on yourself and everyone puts colors on themselves, you’re not judging them for their appearances (or) who they are,” Krishnan said. “Everyone is the same because they have (the same) colors on themselves.”

Originally from the southern part of India, Krishnan does not traditionally celebrate Holi. However, the festival is “such a cultural symbol (and) a very Indian symbol” that people from her area would travel north to partake in celebrations.

“The goal of the event was just to spread diversity,” Raichur said. “(To) let people know this is one of the biggest events that is important to India. (Having this event) is a way of representing your country and letting other people know about your culture and traditions.”

ISA will also be hosting a second event in which students and community members will be able to experience the color-throwing aspect of the festival on April 9, Raichur said.

Kelli Wanamaker, a graduate student studying middle-childhood education, has attended Diwali during the fall semester and said she prefers attending Holi.

“I really love the emcees, they were so fun (and) they made the whole atmosphere very laid-back and silly,” Wanamaker said. “I (also) love the colors, I love seeing everyone in their saris or other traditional Indian dresses.”

Wanamaker said she was invited by her friend and was interested in trying out the Indian cuisine available.

“It’s just fascinating to be around a different culture, (It) just makes life more rich and full,” she said.

Shachi Shah, a graduate student studying medicine, said she enjoyed seeing the emcees engage with members of the audience by inviting them up on stage to try performing Bollywood dance moves.

“It’s nice to see everyone together like this and just celebrating (Holi),” Shah said. “It’s a sense of community in Athens.”

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu