Ohio University's Shakur Laney pins down American University's Josh Terao during Ohio's match Sunday.

Wrestling: Laney brings home a conference title

Shakur Laney gave himself one mission for this year's Mid-American Conference Championships: “dominate." And dominate he did. 

As the number one seed in the 125 lbs weight class, Laney’s first match of the weekend took place in the quarterfinal against Old Dominion’s Steven Simpson. 

“Shakur wrestled great,” coach Joel Greenlee said. “He came here and did what he needed to do.”

The result of Laney’s semi-final match not only secured his spot in Sunday’s championship match but also earned him an automatic qualification to the NCAA Tournament on March 16-18.

The championship matchup of Laney versus Northern Iowa’s Dylan Peters was one long overdue. 

When the two schools met in the regular season, both were ranked in the top 20 in their respective weight class, but due to injury, Peters was unable to compete. With no injuries and the rankings aside, the two finally met. Laney won a 7-4, decision thus giving Laney a MAC title.

“It really feels amazing,” Laney said. “I knew big things were going to come and I knew I could do it.”

Laney wasn’t the only Bobcat, however, to have success this weekend. 

Noah Forrider (141 lbs), the number two seed in the 141 weight class shutout both of his opponents in his two matches Saturday. He earned a spot in the championship match against Missouri’s Jaydin Eierman.

Forrider’s title run came at an end when he was defeated by major decision. Forrider eventually placed in second place in the championships. 

Zack Parker also had a solid weekend as well, with a fourth-place finish. 

Three Bobcat wrestlers placed seventh or below in the consolation bracket, including Cameron Kelly (133 lbs), the number three seed in his respective weight class after a disappointing Saturday.

Laney and possibly some of his teammates will travel to St. Louis, Missouri to participate in the annual NCAA Tournament.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu