Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University.

On A High Note: Lorde wows on Saturday Night Live

It’s not every day that a performance under the blaring lights of mainstream music gives me chills, but Lorde’s Saturday Night Live performances of “Green Light” and “Liability” did just that.

I sat through the entire iHeartRadio Music Awards and the only thing that caught my attention was Ed Sheeran’s “Castle on the Hill”, but even a talented artist like Sheeran makes meaningless pop music to sell singles at least half the of time. Lorde has never bought in, and I really don’t see her ever doing so.

For “Green Light” Lorde appeared onstage in a crop top and baggy trousers. She danced around awkwardly like a kid in a dorm room, like one of us, but at the end of the upbeat song, she paused for a sentimental moment. The track has many layers, so it’s only natural that the performance did too.

It mirrored the pattern of a slightly unhinged youthful life. Going out, getting wasted, trying to forget that we have feelings but eventually having to face reality. The artistic depth and integrity were very impressive.

“Liability” was unlike anything I’d ever seen. The song is perfect enough on its own, but the performance took it to a whole new level. Dressed in white robes and a dramatic headpiece, Lorde sat back to back on a piano bench with co-writer Jack Antonoff of Bleachers.

“Liability” is about feeling isolated and different from everyone else, which is a common backstory for artists but rarely verbalized so well.

“The truth is I am a toy/That people enjoy/'Til all of the tricks don't work anymore/And then they are bored of me,” she breathes in the bridge.

The room bursts into applause and Lorde flashes a rare smile. Her feelings are valid, but she is wrong; I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of her.

Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Did you catch Lorde on Saturday Night Live? Let Halle know by emailing or tweeting her at hw422715@ohio.edu or @HalleWeber13, respectively.