Sebastian Smith (6) celebrate what he thinks is a touchdown against Buffalo in Peden Stadium on Thursday night. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Inside Ohio's eight-year partnership with Adidas

Earlier this week, Ohio announced that it is ending its ten-year partnership with Russell Athletic and will be signing an eight-year deal with Adidas to become the school’s exclusive outfitter.

The Post has obtained the contract between the two parties through Ohio University’s Office of Legal Affairs.

The contract states that for the next eight years, the school will purchase $200,000 worth of product from the company. Afterward, Adidas will pay a set sum to the university annually.

For the first five years, Adidas will provide $600,000 to the athletic department. For the last three years of the deal, Adidas will provide $635,000 to the athletic department.

Adidas will sell their product to the school at a discount, the contract states. Footwear will be sold at up to a 45 percent discount, while all other apparel will be sold at a 50 percent discount.

Under Ohio’s deal with Russell Athletic, the brand provided the athletic department with $397,500 annually in product and sold additional product to the university at a 50 percent discount.

Adidas states in the contract that student-athletes must be wearing the product in all social media posts and photographs. Spatting, or intentionally covering up or changing the logo, is prohibited as well.

The contract also includes multiple performance-based incentives for the athletic department.

For example, Adidas will tack on an additional $20,000 if the Bobcats make a bowl game appearance and an additional $10,000 if they win the conference championship in football. For both men’s and women’s basketball, Adidas will tack on $10,000 for an NCAA tournament appearance and $5,000 if they win their conference tournament.

Ohio can also earn “cash bonus compensation” for their performance in just men’s basketball and football.

For example, if the basketball team makes the Sweet 16 in NCAA tournament, they’ll earn $25,000 in cash. The football team getting an invite to a “committee contract bowl”, as fellow Mid-American Conference opponent Western Michigan did last year, will net the athletic department $25,000.

Adidas is also providing the school with additional funds at the onset of the contract.

Ohio is receiving $120,000 in product to assist with the transition to Adidas. Additionally, the company is giving the school $50,000 for new graphics at team stores at Peden Stadium and The Convo and an additional $25,000 to help increase “foot traffic” to those stores.

The contract will expire on June 30, 2025. However, there are two separate one-year extensions that can go into effect if agreed upon by both Ohio and Adidas.

The two companies are to negotiate again in late 2024.

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu