Ohio running back Maleek Irons dodges Kent State safety Kevin Bourne during the game Saturday.

Ohio inks deal with Adidas, ending 10-year partnership with Russell Athletic

Ohio’s athletic department announced Tuesday that it has signed an apparel contract with Adidas, ending a 10-year stretch of having their jerseys and other apparel provided by Russell Athletic.

The new deal is for eight years and will last through the 2024-25 athletic season, according to a news release from the athletic department.

Ohio’s deal with Russell Athletic ends June 30. On Jan. 1, Russell Athletic had exclusive negotiating right with the university for 90 days but did not reach an agreement.

Ohio’s deal with Russell Athletic was the most lucrative contract for a Mid-American Conference school, being the only university to receive gear as a part of their sponsorship. The school receives $397,500 in athletic gear per year, according to a previous Post report.

The Post reached out to a Russell Athletic spokesperson, but the company did not immediately respond.

The Bobcats previously had their jerseys supplied by Adidas in 2007. Later that year, the athletic department signed a deal with Russell Athletic to become the exclusive outfitter of the school.

Ohio was the only MAC school that had a sponsorship deal with Russell.

"Russell has been a great partner over the past ten years and we appreciate all that they have done for Ohio,” athletic director Jim Schaus said in the news release. “Our teams will continue to wear their products through June of 2017,"

Ohio will join Miami, Northern Illinois and Akron as MAC schools that wear Adidas. National programs that have a sponsorship with Adidas include Indiana, Arizona State, Miami (FL) and Texas A&M.

The athletic department released statements from men’s basketball coach Saul Phillips and football coach Frank Solich regarding the deal.

"We're excited to have Adidas as a partner as I’ve heard many good things about them from my counterparts throughout college football,” Solich said. “We appreciate the long-term commitment they've made to Ohio, not only for football, but for all of our sports. Their equipment is top notch and something our players will be excited to wear on campus, at practice and in competition.

Phillips echoed similar sentiments.

“This announcement is exciting for Ohio Basketball as I believe the association with Adidas will help us continue to build our national brand and that, in turn, will assist us in recruiting,” he said. “The shoes, apparel and equipment are excellent and the team and coaches are excited to wear them proudly.”

This is a developing story. Stick with The Post for updates. 

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu